Apr 24, 2011, 9:07 PM EDT
UPDATE 9:07 pm: According to Aggrey Sam over at CSN Chicago, Rose’s MRI came back negative. So, it is just a minor sprain. Which means like we say in the rest of this post, you can bet he plays the next game.
7:04 pm: Derrick Rose is go for Game 5. And you can expect the Bulls star point guard and MVP to be to play a lot better than he did in Game 4.
But there might be a little concern as he spent Easter Sunday in a walking boot to protect that sprained ankle he got in the first quarter of Game 4, and he’s going to have an MRI (X-rays were negative), according to the Associated Press.
Coach Tom Thibodeau said trainer Fred Tedeschi told him Rose is sore, but the swelling is “not bad.” The walking boot is more precautionary…
“Every time somebody goes down, somebody’s always ready to step up, but knowing Derrick, he’s going to be able to play,” forward Taj Gibson said. “I know he’s not going to sit out and miss a big-time game like this.”
No, he won’t. But it would be nice for somebody else to step up. Luol Deng is averaging 17.3 points per game but shooting just 39 percent. Boozer is 12 points a game (and 11.5 rebounds) but is hitting just 37.5 percent. (To be fair, Rose is only shooting 35.2 percent overall and 17.2 percent from three, which will haunt them against better teams if things do not improve.)
Expect the Bulls to play their best defensive game, take control of a low-scoring game and get some rest before taking on Atlanta or Orlando. Rose and his ankle wouldn’t mind that stretching out.
- Is Klay Thompson the best two-way shooting guard? Stephen Curry would ‘put him up against anybody.’ 0
- UPDATED Report: Timberwolves make push for Eric Bledsoe, Suns not interested in sign-and-trade talks 29
- LeBron James unveils latest signature shoe from Nike: The LEBRON 12 11
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Toronto Raptors 10
- Dwyane Wade credits David Stern’s dress code for improving his style 18
- Kevin Durant has grown close with Karl Malone 15
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Philadelphia 76ers 5
- Steve Kerr said Danny Ferry made mistake but is a “man of high character” 35