Apr 23, 2011, 6:58 PM EDT
The Spurs were not regular season monsters only, right? Memphis is just a tough matchup who can grind it out but when push comes to shove Tim Duncan will still be Tim Duncan, Tony Parker will get into the lane and hit floaters, Manu Ginobili will confound. Right?
We’ll find out Saturday in Memphis.
We have Game 3 of a series tied 1-1. The Spurs lost the first game without Manu, won the second one with him and his elbow brace and…
What the Grizzlies want to do remains simple — pound the ball inside. Have that open up enough room for shooters on the perimeter. Get offensive rebounds. Defend. Use your size. Win ugly. Grind it out.
The offensive-minded Spurs found a trendy retro version of themselves for Game 2 and they were able to stop the Grizzlies and get the win. Mostly the Spurs just packed it in and dared the Grizzlies to shoot over the top of them and the Grizzlies responded by driving into the heart of the defense. They need O.J. Mayo to hit the midrange and Marc Gasol to pick-and-pop to create space inside for Zach Randolph to work. Look for a lot of Grizzlies pick-and-roll.
On the other end of the court, look for the Spurs to try to get their three point shooters in a real rhythm. That has been lacking this series and they need Matt Bonner or Gary Neal to give them that spark off the bench. The Spurs staring five will win the day (and did in Game 2) but the Spurs bench has let it down so far. Memphis has had the better bench. That was not supposed to be the case.
At some point you expect the Spurs to just be the Spurs and take over this series. To get their offense going, to overcome the old-school clutch-and-grab defense the Grizzlies run.
They better do it for Game 3 or we’re going to be talking about Golden State Warriors against Dallas a lot leading up to Game 4.
- LeBron James on Kyrie Irving: “I believe Kyrie can be the best point guard in the league.” 16
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Boston Celtics 2
- Dwight Howard’s driver’s license in Florida suspended, he racked up 10 red light violations in Orlando 12
- Tim Duncan to appear in “The Punisher” comic book 6
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New York Knicks 10
- Klay Thompson’s agent: Thompson better two-way shooting guard than Kobe Bryant 50
- Report: Greg Oden’s drinking an issue during season, alleged domestic assault 31
- Kevin Durant calls Allen Iverson “pound for pound” best ever 29