Apr 22, 2011, 3:50 PM EDT
Trivia time: Who was the last Canadian-born player drafted in the first round?
No, not the shaggy-haired guy. If you answered Jamaal Magloire you are either Canadian or we should be worried about you. Or both. But you’d be right.
For another few weeks anyway.
Tristan Thompson, the freshman power forward out of Texas — born in Ontario! — has declared for the NBA Draft according to the Austin Statesman. He likely will go late lottery or somewhere in the mid-teens (DraftExpress has him as the No. 16 prospect).
(By the way, next time you wonder why we are skeptical when a guy says around or during the NCAA tournament that he is coming back to college we are skeptical, remember how Thompson swore in March he was returning. Or there was Kevin Durant. Or a hundred other guys.)
He’s 6’8” but with a 7’2” wingspan, which means draft experts can throw in the word “long,” which is always a favorite (up there with “motor” and “upside”). Oh, and Thompson does have a really good motor.
That length and motor makes him a good rebounder, plus he’s a good shot blocker.
Offensively, he needs work. Well, he needs a perimeter game. He could get away with being a 6’8” guy working inside in college but in the NBA he’s going to find a lot of longer arms and stronger bodies in his way. He has to develop a 15-foot jumper, and it is not there yet.
In the teens in this draft, if you get a guy who can board, that’s not bad.
- Spurs would like to remind you they are very good, crush Grizzlies in Game 1 2
- LeBron takes offense to something that Pacers’ head coach Vogel didn’t actually say 30
- Thunder GM says team won’t amnesty Kendrick Perkins 24
- Western Conference Finals preview: Grizzlies vs. Spurs 8
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks 50
- Knicks predictably drop Game 4 to Pacers, fall behind 3-1 (93)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (80)
- LeBron James shrugs off claims he’s a flopper (64)
- Seattle group releases statement; forced to wait, hope for expansion (63)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (63)
- Live Extra: Watch live coverage of Penguins-Senators
- PBT: Parker carves up Grizzlies as Spurs roll in Gm. 1
- PHT: Bruins crack Lundqvist, hammer Rangers
- PST: Arsenal grabs Champions League spot
- Ferguson's managerial career ends with 5-5 draw
- Moore stays unbeaten as Rays top Orioles
- Blue Jays-Yankees finale scrubbed by rain
- Play Video: Grizzlies ready for 'running' Spurs
- Play Video: Durant won't 'compromise himself' like other stars
- Play Video: Knicks avoid elimination
- Play Video: Heat finish off Bulls, James 'has no energy left'
- Play Video: Health woes make Heat vulnerable
- Play Video: Good news for Sacramento, Kings stay