Apr 22, 2011, 12:10 PM EST
I love the premise of this article — there is not enough trash talk in the NBA.
It’s part of ESPN’s “Player X” series where some athletes in different sports get to spout off anonymously on whatever topic they want. And this time around an NBA player — clearly a veteran — complains about the lack of good trash talk in the NBA.
He blames AAU, Europeans and the referees for this. But then he gets personal and takes a shot at Boston’s Kevin Garnett calling him a punk and a coward.
Trash-talk can go too far fast, though, so there is a code. Off-limit topics: moms, wives, girlfriends, kids. And health. Honestly, I never thought anyone would cross the line to crack on an opponent about a medical condition. But according to Charlie Villanueva, that’s what Kevin Garnett supposedly did earlier this season when he called the Pistons forward a “cancer patient.” Garnett later claimed otherwise, saying he had called Villanueva — who’s hairless because of a skin condition — a “cancerous” player.
I don’t know who’s telling the truth, but I don’t care. Garnett is a punk and a coward. I know, I know. Easy for me to say behind this column. Don’t worry, I’ll tell him to his face, too. And I’m not the only one who thinks that: If you’re not on his team, chances are you hate the guy. You can learn a lot about him by watching his eyes. If he’s talking to you — and he’s always talking — he avoids eye contact. My advice to other guys in the league: Stare him down, and he’ll retreat. From what I’ve seen, he’ll never mix it up with a player who’s bigger than he is. Personally, I think he’s scared to fight — like a playground bully who barks but doesn’t bite.
Calling KG a coward in an anonymous column is ironic. And a little sad. Even if he does own up to it.
But these kind of thoughts about Garnett — that he is really a playground bully who picks on smaller players or ones who will not push back — have been around a long time. They are almost conventional wisdom around the league. You don’t see KG getting in Dwight Howard’s face, or Ron Artest’s. It’s more like J.J. Barea.
Player X also smacks LeBron James for just being bad at trash talk. He says the Celtics by and large are good at it, and the Lakers have Kobe Bryant and Artest who are very good at it. He tries to draw a line from trash talk to winning.
It’s interesting, if you can you should go read he whole thing. And enjoy the irony.
- PBT’s Wednesday NBA Winners/Losers: Ettore Messina making history for Spurs 1
- LeBron James, Cavaliers have kind of game they need to replicate blowing out Wizards 5
- Gregg Popovich to miss game following ‘minor medical procedure’ 7
- PBT Extra: Anthony Davis’s MVP-level play, the Spurs and things to be thankful for 7
- Report: Knicks worried Carmelo Anthony’s back issue may be season-long concern 11
- Report: Lakers working on a one-year deal with Earl Clark 13
- Tom Thibodeau says Derrick Rose ‘didn’t re-injure himself’ after playing just 10 minutes in loss to Nuggets 20
- Lakers granted $4.85 million disabled-player exception for Steve Nash injury 13