Apr 22, 2011, 6:40 PM EDT
Remember way back to the start of the season, when John Wall missed a handful of game due to a foot injury? Probably not, because when he came back he was pretty impressive. Good enough to be second in the Rookie of the Year balloting. Dude dropped 22 assists at the All-Star weekend Rookie Challenge (including a bounce-pass ally-oop to Blake Griffin that may have been the best highlight of the weekend).
But Wall was never right.
Speaking with the Washington Post, Wall said he was never fully healthy and that held him back this season.
If he could’ve done anything differently last season, Wall said he would’ve taken his time before coming back from a foot injury he claims “was the downfall for me.” Wall sprained his left foot while contesting a jumper by Chicago’s Derrick Rose on Nov. 13, but he returned after missing just four games, only to suffer a more debilitating bone bruise in his right knee in his first game back. When asked why he rushed back from his initial injury, Wall said, “I didn’t want to disappoint anybody….”
He came off the bench in his first game back against the Philadelphia 76ers on Nov. 23 and led the Wizards to an overtime win, but it came at a cost. Wall tried to get into the lane, but his sore foot kept him from making the move that his mind wanted him to make, so he wound up colliding with another player. Sixers reserve Marreese Speights fell on him, contributing to a deep bone bruise in his right knee that Wall said limited him to being no better than “85 percent” the rest of the season.
We may see Wall take a big leap next season. Point guard is one of the hardest spots to learn in the NBA, and Wall got a real education out of his rookie season. Combine that with him being fully healthy and a little more explosive, and we could see a lot more Wall highlights.
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 7
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 0
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 8
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 47
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 14
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 48