Apr 21, 2011, 3:42 PM EDT
UPDATE 3:42 pm: From the Department of Redundancy Department, we have an update on our update:
Shaq traveled with the team to New York, according to A. Sherrod Blakely of CSN New England. Based on what Doc Rivers said before, that makes Shaq questionable for Game 4 on Easter Sunday. Which is a lot better than where he has been (and paves way for easy resurrection headlines in New York tabloids).
12:55 pm: In today’s episode of “as Shaq’s Achilles turns”….
Thursday morning Shaquille O’Neal was going to get another workout today and while he was out for Game 3 for sure, maybe he could play Game 4.
Here’s Doc Rivers as quoted by the Boston Herald:
“He’s going to try to go tomorrow. I just don’t see it,” Rivers said of a scheduled Shaq workout for tomorrow before the team boards its early afternoon charter flight. “I’m just going to be a real doctor right now and say I doubt it. But he is going to try to do some things tomorrow and we’ll see.
“He’s had some improvement but I don’t know how much,” said Rivers. “I just go by what Eddie (trainer Lacerte) and (Dr. Brian) McKeon tell me. They said he’s had some improvement so I’ll relay that onto you guys. I’m not sure yet if he makes the trip. It depends on what’s best. If you see him on a trip that means he’s really close. That means we think he’ll play Sunday.”
If you really want to play connect the dots, Shaq’s girlfriend, Nicole “Hoopz” Alexander, was on WEEI saying the two of them were going to New York. Now, going and going officially with the team are different things, but Celtics fans are grasping at straws.
Ugly as it may be at times, the Celtics can get by the Knicks without Shaq. They need him back for Miami in the next round. Rushing him back too fast and aggravating an injury could cause another setback, which would be worse than waiting a few more days.
But that is where things stand. Now we return you to your regularly scheduled programing.
- Kevin Love and Flip Saunders hitting it off 1
- Three things about Game 2: Tony Parker is that good but Randolph, Grizzlies figuring it out 3
- Spurs need overtime in Game 2 to beat Grizzlies, take a 2-0 series lead 1
- Cavaliers bask in another lottery victory 11
- For second time in three years Cavaliers win NBA draft lottery 36
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (121)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (88)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (75)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Seattle group releases statement; forced to wait, hope for expansion (64)
- Sharks pull even with Kings
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1
- PBT: Nick Gilbert again Cavs' good luck charm
- PBT: Grizzlies figuring out Spurs after Game 2
- PBT: Spurs survive Grizzlies' late run, win in OT
- Play Video: Metta World Peace the weatherman
- Play Video: Eastern Conference finals preview
- Play Video: Heat gearing for another physical battle
- Play Video: Phil Jackson compares MJ and Kobe
- Play Video: Grizzlies ready for 'running' Spurs
- Play Video: Durant won't 'compromise himself' like other stars