Apr 21, 2011, 3:42 PM EST
UPDATE 3:42 pm: From the Department of Redundancy Department, we have an update on our update:
Shaq traveled with the team to New York, according to A. Sherrod Blakely of CSN New England. Based on what Doc Rivers said before, that makes Shaq questionable for Game 4 on Easter Sunday. Which is a lot better than where he has been (and paves way for easy resurrection headlines in New York tabloids).
12:55 pm: In today’s episode of “as Shaq’s Achilles turns”….
Thursday morning Shaquille O’Neal was going to get another workout today and while he was out for Game 3 for sure, maybe he could play Game 4.
Here’s Doc Rivers as quoted by the Boston Herald:
“He’s going to try to go tomorrow. I just don’t see it,” Rivers said of a scheduled Shaq workout for tomorrow before the team boards its early afternoon charter flight. “I’m just going to be a real doctor right now and say I doubt it. But he is going to try to do some things tomorrow and we’ll see.
“He’s had some improvement but I don’t know how much,” said Rivers. “I just go by what Eddie (trainer Lacerte) and (Dr. Brian) McKeon tell me. They said he’s had some improvement so I’ll relay that onto you guys. I’m not sure yet if he makes the trip. It depends on what’s best. If you see him on a trip that means he’s really close. That means we think he’ll play Sunday.”
If you really want to play connect the dots, Shaq’s girlfriend, Nicole “Hoopz” Alexander, was on WEEI saying the two of them were going to New York. Now, going and going officially with the team are different things, but Celtics fans are grasping at straws.
Ugly as it may be at times, the Celtics can get by the Knicks without Shaq. They need him back for Miami in the next round. Rushing him back too fast and aggravating an injury could cause another setback, which would be worse than waiting a few more days.
But that is where things stand. Now we return you to your regularly scheduled programing.
- Paul Pierce practiced Monday, could return vs. Celtics Tuesday 1
- Report: Kings not done trading, Jason Thompson next on block 4
- The Extra Pass: Raptors’ salary dump trade could mean a few more wins, too; plus Sunday recaps 1
- Kobe is back but loss to Raptors shows Lakers still have a lot of work to do 14
- Sunday night NBA Grades: Rudy Gay traded to Kings, Kobe returns for Lakers 3
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (65)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (52)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (47)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (44)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (43)