Apr 21, 2011, 9:54 AM EDT
The problem wasn’t Rick Adelman’s body of work, it was the feeling by Houston Rockets management he wasn’t the guy for a rebuilding team.
They want a young coach to grow with and mold a rebuilding team, and so they are reaching out to top assistants from around the league, according to the Houston Chronicle.
The Rockets are interested in a long list of assistants, including San Antonio’s Mike Budenholzer, New Orleans’ Michael Malone, the Los Angeles Clippers’ Dean Demopoulos, Philadelphia’s Quin Snyder and Memphis’ Dave Joeger, along with former head coaches Lawrence Frank, an assistant in Boston, and Dwane Casey, an assistant in Dallas. The Rockets will seek a meeting with the Lakers’ Brian Shaw if he is not named the successor to Phil Jackson in Los Angeles.
Essentially, cast a wide net and see what you can reel in. Someone who has experience but can grow with this team ideally. Maybe catch lightning in a bottle.
That kind of list also means they are not rushing this decision. They have time and they are going to make a call they are comfortable with. So sit back, relax and take a sip of your favorite drink Rocket fans, this is going to take a while.
- A ‘devastated’ Manu Ginobili says he has no clue how Spurs will re-energize in time for Game 7 4
- Spurs execution fails them when it matters most. Can they get it back for Game 7? 5
- Heat force a Finals Game 7 with thrilling overtime win over Spurs 7
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 96
- PBT Extra: Talking Duncan, LeBron legacies; plus Game 6 12
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 (98)
- If Spurs win, it is LeBron’s legacy that will take biggest hit (83)
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- LeBron James: “I just have to play better” (78)
- Heat’s Big Three dominate Game 4 to even the Finals at two games apiece (74)
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Patriots' Hernandez questioned in murder investigation
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- HBT: Mets' Wheeler goes six scoreless in MLB debut
- Lolo Jones' attempt at humor backfires
- Play Video: Bosh: 'We'll see who hits first'
- Play Video: PBT Extra: LeBron's legacy at stake, Duncan's safe
- Play Video: Clippers, Celtics discussions 'can't be wrong'
- Play Video: Elliot looks ahead to Game 6
- Play Video: The Hype: How much would you pay to punch someone?
- Play Video: If Heat lose, 'all hell will break loose'