Apr 21, 2011, 5:49 PM EDT
The Philadelphia 76ers are a pretty good team who could pose a threat to some upper echelon Eastern Conference teams in the first round.
Miami is not one of them. The Sixers lack the ability to pound the Heat inside where they are soft. Philly also relies on getting out and running a little, getting some easy points in transition, but Miami is flat out better in transition at both ends. LeBron James lives for chase-down blocks, Dwyane Wade is unstoppable in the open court. But the Heat have generally just slowed the game down and beaten the Sixers in the half court this series. Take away the one thing the Sixers can do well and they have struggled to score consistently.
There are no easy answers for Philly coach Doug Collins. But he needs to find some for Game 3 Thursday night. Or it’s all over. Nobody comes back from being down 3-0. Unless Dave Roberts plays basketball, too.
What the Sixers need to do is turn LeBron, Bosh and the rest of the Heat into jump shooters. They’re not bad at it, but they are far more effective when they get in close. And the Heat are all too willing to settle for the jumper (as pointed out at The Heat Index). Miami took 24 long two pointers (16 feet out to the arc) in the last game. A ridiculously high number for a team with all the talent to get to the rim they have. The only more ridiculous thing is they shot 54.2 percent on them. That is not sustainable. Force them to shoot jumpers and they will miss.
Look for the Sixers, back at home, to play with a real sense of desperation. If Miami can withstand the onslaught and energy, they still have the matchup advantages to win Game 3. And if that happens, well, Doug Collins can start scheduling player exit interviews.
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 3
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 0
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 8
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 47
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 14
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 48