Frustrated J.R. Smith says he likely wont re-sign with Nuggets

Apr 21, 2011, 5:20 PM EDT

Nuggets guard Smith celebrates a three-point shot in their NBA basketball game against the Timberwolves in Denver

They are frustrated in Denver. They have not been able to solve the Oklahoma City Thunder puzzle and are now down 2-0 in their first round playoff series.

J.R. Smith’s frustration boiled over Thursday, to the point he says he may choose not to re-sign with the Nuggets this summer, he told Benjamin Hochman at the Denver Post.

“There’s a strong possibility (he will sign elsewhere) as of right now,” Smith said. “It’s not going the way I planned it to go. It’s a tough situation. I want to be here, I love the fans and everything about the city. It’s just maybe not my fit.”

The Nuggets had a team meeting on Thursday and Smith said the team didn’t have “a pulse” as they regrouped at Pepsi Center.

“Just frustration, just really didn’t have any life in there,” Smith said. “No one was really into it.”

Smith played less than 7 minutes in Game 2 — he was 1-for-6 in a stretch at the end of the first quarter and beginning of the second when Denver was outscored by 16 and the Thunder pulled away for good. Smith never got n the floor in the second half.

So he’s frustrated. Good. If he were happy or even okay with how things have gone for Denver then we’d be talking a bigger problem.

But Smith’s agent should be telling him to be quiet. First off, Denver is a good fit and may be willing to pay more than other teams for Smith’s services (whenever we have a free agent signing period after the lockout). Well, maybe they were willing. This didn’t endear Smith to the Nuggets, questioning his team’s passion in the middle of a playoff series.

That and what team GM just read those quotes and said, “that’s a guy I want in my locker room, a guy who throws the team under the bus when faced with adversity.”

Nuggets fans, sorry. But do you want some good news?

Arron Afflalo says he is good to go and will be back for Game 3. It’s a start. And you know he will bring defense and passion.

1. denverhoopdreams - Apr 21, 2011 at 5:30 PM

I feel him, all he’s doing is being straight forward about it all. I’ll say, this is the one thing I’m upset with the way Karl is handling things. He’d rather have Chandler take tons of contested jump shots than J.R taking a ton of contested jump shots. I’ve seen J.R make more than Chandler.

• denverhoopdreams - Apr 21, 2011 at 5:34 PM

And yes, I know that Chandler is a SF and J.R is a SG. But Chandler was playing for Afflalo, starting… and this is his stat line: Apr 20 @ OKC1 L 89 – 106 30mins 0 – 6 fg 0 – 2 3pt 4 – 4 ft 4 pts total.

• drmonkeyarmy - Apr 21, 2011 at 5:40 PM

Not the point…don’t take your gripes to the media in the middle of a playoff series.

• jjared1101 - Apr 21, 2011 at 6:37 PM

Agreed…and if Kurt thinks what JR said was throwing his team under the bus, then I wonder what he thinks about what Karl said. That was far more of a “throwing under the bus” than what JR said IMO.

• denverhoopdreams - Apr 21, 2011 at 7:09 PM

In general I’m disappointed with the whole team. I’m still a superfan, I’ll stick with them through thick and thin.. We need Nene to stop playing peek-a-boo with the playoffs, we need Felton to come of the bench playing as tough as he would if he were starting. The biggest thing is we need to play the defense we were playing after the all-star break.

I know teams can’t keep momentum forever, and if they want to start another string of momentum they need to do it Saturday. Like a lot of people say and like the sixers coach said… the series isn’t over until a team gets an away win.

2. denverhoopdreams - Apr 21, 2011 at 6:28 PM

I’m going to start a play J.R chant at game 3. Listen for it folks.

What are impacts of NBA's new TV deal?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches