Apr 21, 2011, 3:48 PM EDT
UPDATE 3:48 pm: After practice on Thursday, Roy apologized for his complaints about playing time, according to the Associated Press.
He said it came from a place of frustration. Which is a place it is understandable Roy inhabits. If he weren’t frustrated, he’d be a cyborg. But that still does not change what Nate McMillan has to do.
Blazers coach Nate McMillan is sympathetic to the plight.
But McMillan’s primary job is to put his team in position to win games, and he told the Oregonian that Roy is going to have to deal with the new reality.
“The bottom line is making decisions on substitutions is going to be me making those decisions as far as what’s best for the team,” McMillan said….
“I said to Brandon, there’s nobody in this state, including Brandon, that (wants) Brandon on the floor as much as I do,” McMillan said.
It’s the reality that Roy has no cartridge in his knees to speak of any more. And while Roy says his knees are fine it clearly still impacts his game. Which is a loss for all of us because he was a three-time All-Star and elite guard in this league. I miss watching that old Roy play.
But there is a reason that last game Roy played at the end of the first into the start of the second quarters, then got a few minutes at the start of the fourth. Roy is not the best guard on the Blazers roster anymore. If the Blazers are going to win they need their best players on the floor at key moments.
Maybe things will change. Roy always played a smart game and maybe he can figure out how to adjust his game to his new physical realities. But not in this series. Portland has to win the next two at home to have any chance against Dallas and McMillan will play who he thinks gives them the best chance. That’s his job.
- Steve Nash called Kobe Bryant a “mother f****** a******” but in a good way 0
- USA Basketball announces 12 man roster for World Cup; Parsons, Hayward, Lillard, Korver cut 16
- USA Basketball cruises to exhibition win over Puerto Rico with final roster cuts looming 1
- Report: Timberwolves to end up with Thad Young, Anthony Bennett as part of Kevin Love trade 79
- Adam Silver: NBA stars playing in international competition face ‘a big risk’ 13
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 16
- Report: Don’t be so sure on Anthony Bennett to Philadelphia rumors 54
- Report: Nike gets chance to match 10-year, $265 million offer to Kevin Durant from Under Armour 18