Apr 20, 2011, 5:48 PM EDT
As our own John Korlik said so well, freedom of speech is different from freedom from consequences. Kobe’s words had consequences. The slur he used is simply an unacceptable word to use in civilized society. He tried his best to own up to and apologize for his mistakes.
Part of that will be shown tonight — Kobe (with the help of his teammates) making a PSA about language. Is this in and of itself going to change a mind? Probably not. But if out of this some people have started to get the message, if the needle has moved a little bit, then this wasn’t all a waste.
- PBT Extra: How ’bout them Wizards? 0
- Phil Jackson wants Carmelo Anthony to take less money to re-sign with Knicks 20
- Report: Frank Vogel “coaching for his job” in wake of team’s slide 16
- Phoenix’s Goran Dragic runs away with Most Improved Player 12
- Report: James Dolan meddles into Phil Jackson’s attempts to fire Knicks employees 52