Apr 20, 2011, 12:29 AM EDT
Kids, let this be a lesson to you — showoff dunks in warm-ups only leads to trouble.
Amar’e Stoudemire hurt his back doing dunks in warm-ups. He tried to go despite the back spasms, but put up four points on 9 shots in 16 minutes and left the game never to return.
Stoudemire tells the Associated Press that he will be ready to go for Game 3.
“I should be ready for Game 3,” he said after the game, standing instead of sitting behind the podium at his postgame news conference. “We’ll see how it goes (Wednesday) and next day, but I’m pretty sure – I’m hoping – I’ll be ready Friday.”
Stoudemire said he believed he hurt himself during pregame warm-ups.
“I couldn’t hardly move. I was trying to play through it,” he said. “Once I felt that sharp pain, I couldn’t take it.
The Knicks have had a puncher’s chance in this series. They have guys who can single-handedly steal a game. Stoudemire almost stole Game 1, Carmelo Anthony Game 2. If they can get both of them — and maybe Chauncey Billups, who missed Game 2 but was reportedly moving much better back they could make this interesting.
You get the feeling they are close and if they can be healthy and at home…. Maybe. Just maybe.
- Cavaliers officially sign Andrew Wiggins, putting 30-day hold on him being traded 0
- Lakers deny rumor they are waiting around for Doc Rivers to be coach 35
- James Harden: “Dwight and I are the cornerstones of the Rockets. The rest of the guys are role players.” 79
- Mavericks signing Al-Farouq Aminu to two-year, minimum salary contract 12
- Report: Ballmer’s $2 billion Clippers offer nearly double what Bank of America valued team at 19
- Report: Jameer Nelson near $2.7 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 17
- Report: Mavericks void Rashard Lewis’ contract after it’s discovered he needs knee surgery 13
- Report: Sixers, Nuggets or Celtics could become third team in Kevin Love trade to Cavaliers 48