Apr 20, 2011, 12:43 PM EDT
Brandon Knight and Terrance Jones may be making the right move.
In a season when a lot of other potential lottery picks — Harrison Barnes, Perry Jones, Jared Sullinger — are staying in college, this could be a chance to move up the board in a weaker year because next year will be a very deep draft.
Kentucky’s freshmen Knight and Jones are testing the NBA Draft waters —declaring for the draft but not hiring an agent. Which means any time before May 8, if they doesn’t like what they hears, either one or both can pull his name out and stay at Kentucky. But expect them to stay in.
Kentucky’s DeAndre Liggins also has put his name in the mix.
Knight is very likely a lottery pick, DraftExpress has him as the No. 5 prospect on the board. He is a 6’3” point guard who has good athleticism and NBA range on his shot (he hit 37.7 percent of his threes) but as a guard struggled with decision making for much of the season. Knight turned the ball over far too much.
When given a real test in the NCAA Tournament, he shot 6-for-23 going up against Kemba Walker and was outplayed. He has real NBA skills but he may be more of a scoring guard off the bench then a guy destined to run an NBA team. But the athleticism and potential intrigues teams.
Jones is a 6’8” forward who comes with an NBA body (and a very long wingspan) and that has him in the lottery, DraftExpress has him No. 10. He has shown skill on the wing, with the ability to take guys off the dribble or step back and shoot. Problem is, the shot needs work and is inconsistent. He is entering the NBA at a deep position with a lot of great athletes and there are questions if he will have the consistent energy to play that spot. Jones’ play also seemed to deteriorate as the season wore on, raising red flags.
Liggins is a 6’6” combo guard who would go in the late second round if at all. He is big and can defend, but the offensive end of his game needs work. Expect him to return to John Calipari.
- LeBron James: “(The Bulls) are a team that’s much better than us right now just off chemistry” 33
- Has Kobe Bryant cost the Lakers Dwight Howard, Carmelo Anthony, Paul George and others? 68
- Five favorites to win NBA 2014-15 MVP 18
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 preview: San Antonio Spurs 7
- NBA’s 44-minute game clocks in at under 2 hours, players barely notice (VIDEO) 3
- Nets coach Hollins on 44-minute game: ‘The change will be for the guys who don’t start’ 11
- Spurs’ Gregg Popovich fires back at Suns owner’s apology: ‘I’m just surprised he didn’t do it in a chicken suit’ 8
- Blake Griffin goes after Trevor Booker following flagrant foul, says he may retaliate in the future (VIDEO) 31