Brandon Roy fights off tears when sat for much of Game 2

Apr 20, 2011, 11:06 AM EDT

Brandon Roy

Brandon Roy is not that Brandon Roy anymore.

He’s not the three-time All-Star, the guy who can regularly take over games, who was an elite guard, who was a building block of the Portland franchise. His knees have robbed him — and us, for he was a joy to watch — of that.

Roy himself has not accepted that fact. Portland coach Nate McMillan has, which is why Roy was played backup minutes (some time at the end of the first and start of the second quarters, then a couple minutes at the start of the fourth).

Not being used almost left Roy in tears, according to the Oregonian.

“There was a point in the first half, and I was thinking ‘You better not cry,”’ Roy said. “I mean, serious. I mean, there was a moment where I felt really sorry for myself. Then I was like, nah, you can’t be sorry for yourself. I’m a grown man, but there was a moment there that I felt sorry for myself. Especially when I think I can still help.”

Roy was one of the first players to leave the locker room, but when he was stopped in the hallway, the hurt and confusion were still evident.

“I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t a little hurt, or disappointed,” Roy said. “But the biggest thing is to keep moving, to try and keep my spirits up. But it’s tough man. I just …. I just always thought I would be treated better. That was a little disappointing for me.”

For the record, Roy insists the problem is not his knees anymore. He says his knees are fine and his problem is now just confidence in his shot. Watching him play, I’m not sold. He doesn’t with the same quickness, the smooth moves are gone.

And that should make us all a little sad.

1. therookie773 - Apr 20, 2011 at 11:48 AM

Brandon, imagine how Greg Oden feels.

2. Ryan Karhut - Apr 20, 2011 at 12:34 PM

Hey guess who doesn’t cry…….winners like Derrick Rose!

Here’s Why Derrick Rose Will Be MVP: http://t.co/WJb8UCH

• denverhoopdreams - Apr 20, 2011 at 2:19 PM

Can we ban this guys IP from posting yet?

3. davidly - Apr 20, 2011 at 2:30 PM

Some are born to move the world
    To live their fantasies
    But most of us just dream about
    The things we’d like to be
    Sadder still to watch it die
    Than never to have known it
    For you, the blind who once could see
    The bell tolls for thee…

• philtration - Apr 20, 2011 at 8:47 PM

If an apple seed turned into a butterfly it would soar across the sky…
      But if a butterfly turned into an apple seed it would just lay there motionless on the ground….
      Rotting away like Shaq sitting on the Celtics bench.

4. rickmirer - Apr 20, 2011 at 2:32 PM

He’ll be back, he’s too much of a beast

5. musilly - Apr 20, 2011 at 4:24 PM

I’m a Laker fan and I almost cried for this guy. His weird passive aggressiveness notwithstanding (you may recall that whole ANDRE MILLER CRAMPIN’ (grampin’?) MY STYLE episode), here’s a guy who has up to this point dedicated his life to basketball, became great, but was then crippled by injuries such that he’s good enough to get minutes as an average role-player but likely will never even get close to being even the third option on the team. Oden’s injuries prevent him from even seeing the court; when that’s the case, it’s much easier to resign yourself to the facts. With Roy, he’s in a half-way state: he can play, but not like before. Hopefully he can pull a Grant Hill and give what he can with dignity.

6. cordae - Apr 20, 2011 at 5:02 PM

This is sad. This guy was one of the best. In a league filled with explosive point guards, it didnt get much more explosive than him. He was the only reason i ever watched a portland game without clyde drexler…

I’m no fan of pitty, but you hate to see a guy of his calibur, on AND off the court, go through something like this. He’s one of the few players left who has a real passion for the game. And that picture just sums it all up.

7. mickdamill - Apr 20, 2011 at 5:40 PM

I bet if they were playing the Suns first round he would be putting in work.

8. ep916 - Apr 21, 2011 at 12:46 AM

may b he should hav fullt recouperate b4 he tried to come bac..people always put pride over what real

The list of championship contenders
Top 10 NBA Player Searches