Apr 20, 2011, 11:06 AM EDT
Brandon Roy is not that Brandon Roy anymore.
He’s not the three-time All-Star, the guy who can regularly take over games, who was an elite guard, who was a building block of the Portland franchise. His knees have robbed him — and us, for he was a joy to watch — of that.
Roy himself has not accepted that fact. Portland coach Nate McMillan has, which is why Roy was played backup minutes (some time at the end of the first and start of the second quarters, then a couple minutes at the start of the fourth).
Not being used almost left Roy in tears, according to the Oregonian.
“There was a point in the first half, and I was thinking ‘You better not cry,”’ Roy said. “I mean, serious. I mean, there was a moment where I felt really sorry for myself. Then I was like, nah, you can’t be sorry for yourself. I’m a grown man, but there was a moment there that I felt sorry for myself. Especially when I think I can still help.”
Roy was one of the first players to leave the locker room, but when he was stopped in the hallway, the hurt and confusion were still evident.
“I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t a little hurt, or disappointed,” Roy said. “But the biggest thing is to keep moving, to try and keep my spirits up. But it’s tough man. I just …. I just always thought I would be treated better. That was a little disappointing for me.”
For the record, Roy insists the problem is not his knees anymore. He says his knees are fine and his problem is now just confidence in his shot. Watching him play, I’m not sold. He doesn’t with the same quickness, the smooth moves are gone.
And that should make us all a little sad.
- Report: Warriors, Draymond Green agree to five-year, $85 million deal 11
- 76ers get Nik Stauskas, first-rounder in salary-dump trade with Kings 38
- Report: Pelicans finalizing deal with Omer Asik 2
- Reports: Paul Pierce agrees to three-year, $10 million contract with Los Angeles Clippers 22
- Report: LaMarcus Aldridge rules out Lakers in free agent decision 100
- Reports: Phoenix Suns sign Tyson Chandler, re-sign Brandon Knight, try to reshape roster 11
- Kevin Love will return to Cavaliers, contract is reportedly $110 million over five years 78
- Report: Spurs reach deal to trade Tiago Splitter to Hawks, create cap space for LaMarcus Aldridge offer 27