Apr 19, 2011, 10:09 AM EDT
Houston got rid of one steady, veteran coach because of some ongoing clashes with management.
Adelman was troubled that organization wouldn’t offer an extension during season. Two names to watch for job: Mike Brown and Stan Van Gundy.
Stan Van Gundy?
Yes, he still sort of has a gig down in Orlando (and has another year on that deal). Yes, he has taken them to the NBA finals and deep into the playoffs. However, if the Magic exit in the first round of the playoffs this season, and maybe even the second, they may look to move him. Understand that the Magic are in full “we have to keep Dwight Howard” mode and if they think dumping SVG will make Howard happy then they won’t bat an eyelash. It’s not a smart move, but they may do it.
Mike Brown we mentioned before. The former Cleveland coach was a defense-first guy who racked up a lot of regular season wins with LeBron James as the key guy, but the roster would get exposed at some point in the playoffs. Still, the vibe around the league is that this guy can coach. If not Houston, he’ll land somewhere.
Of course, Houston may go unconventional after all. Wojnarowski, talk to us:
Others believe Rockets want to go unconventional and try to unearth the next big coaching star. Well, who doesn’t? Easier said than done.
The Rockets own current assistant Elston Turner is considered a guy who is going to get a head coaching gig one day. The problem is you get the feeling the Rockets want more of a shakeup than bringing in a current assistant. But stranger things have happened. Like the Magic even considering getting rid of Van Gundy.
- Tony Parker, Spurs penetration is puzzle Grizzlies can’t solve 1
- Spurs take commanding 3-0 lead over Grizzlies with overtime win in Game 3 6
- Preview: Did Grizzlies figure out Spurs or will Game 3 be more of the same? 0
- George Hill says only God is scarier to face than LeBron James 35
- LeBron James commits two costly turnovers in final minute of Game 2 loss to Pacers 22
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (124)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (83)
- LeBron’s triple-double, game-winner in overtime lead Heat to Game 1 win over Pacers (70)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (61)
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell (61)
- Blackhawks stave off elimination
- Video: Highlights: Blackhawks top Red Wings 4-1
- PBT: Spurs rally to beat Grizzlies in OT, take 3-0 lead
- PST: Bayern Munich beats Dortmund, wins Champions League
- PHT: Bruins bounce Rangers, advance to Conf. finals
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile