Apr 19, 2011, 3:48 PM EDT
UPDATE 3:48 pm: Apparently somebody brought some water from Lourdes to San Antonio, because there has been a miraculous healing.
Reports as of this morning said Ginobili was still doubtful, but now the very good beat writer Jeff McDonald of the Express-News says on twitter that Ginobili is 99.9 percent likely to play. They need him, and if he is anywhere near ready to go you can bet he will go.
At this point, we may wait to hear a game time announcement to be sure.
1:37 pm: San Antonio shot 21 percent from the midrange (3 to 23 feet). George Hill could not find is rhythm (2-of-7 shooting). Tony Parker had the same issue at 4-of-16 as they dared him to hit contested jumpers but sealed off the paint.
Spurs fans cling to the theory is that Manu Ginobili would change that if healthy. Maybe so. He would draw more defensive attention (although you can be the Grizzlies would still keep the paint packed).
It’s all kind of moot, at least for Game 2. Despite working out and it looking better, Ginobili’s sprained elbow is still sore and he considered doubtful for Game 2 Wednesday, according to the Express-News.
Which means the Spurs need to find a way to relieve the pressure on Parker — Memphis is not going to let him beat them. George Hill will have to be better (Tim Duncan had a good game and that was not enough). Hill, Richard Jefferson and Gary Neal need to have good games.
If the Grizzlies stick with being who they are, not try to do too much, they have a shot at this series.
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 13
- Report: Suns discussing trade possibilities for Eric Bledsoe 21
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 31
- Kevin Durant reiterates that rest was his reason for withdrawing from Team USA 9
- Kobe Bryant says he will not be same player as before, says he’s evolved into something equally good 24
- Report: Agent for Greg Monroe pursued sign-and-trade deals with five teams, including Thunder and Blazers 25
- Derrick Rose sits out another Team USA practice, not likely to start Wednesday 23
- DeMarcus Cousins practices with team USA Tuesday, says he’s 50-50 for Wednesday game 2