Apr 19, 2011, 3:48 PM EDT
UPDATE 3:48 pm: Apparently somebody brought some water from Lourdes to San Antonio, because there has been a miraculous healing.
Reports as of this morning said Ginobili was still doubtful, but now the very good beat writer Jeff McDonald of the Express-News says on twitter that Ginobili is 99.9 percent likely to play. They need him, and if he is anywhere near ready to go you can bet he will go.
At this point, we may wait to hear a game time announcement to be sure.
1:37 pm: San Antonio shot 21 percent from the midrange (3 to 23 feet). George Hill could not find is rhythm (2-of-7 shooting). Tony Parker had the same issue at 4-of-16 as they dared him to hit contested jumpers but sealed off the paint.
Spurs fans cling to the theory is that Manu Ginobili would change that if healthy. Maybe so. He would draw more defensive attention (although you can be the Grizzlies would still keep the paint packed).
It’s all kind of moot, at least for Game 2. Despite working out and it looking better, Ginobili’s sprained elbow is still sore and he considered doubtful for Game 2 Wednesday, according to the Express-News.
Which means the Spurs need to find a way to relieve the pressure on Parker — Memphis is not going to let him beat them. George Hill will have to be better (Tim Duncan had a good game and that was not enough). Hill, Richard Jefferson and Gary Neal need to have good games.
If the Grizzlies stick with being who they are, not try to do too much, they have a shot at this series.
- Who should Clippers get to replace DeAndre Jordan? How about Blake Griffin. 18
- Report: Tobias Harris reaches four-year, $64 million extension to stay with Orlando 25
- Report: Rajon Rondo agrees to one-year, $9.5 million deal with Sacramento Kings 47
- Report: DeAndre Jordan agrees to four-year, $80 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 55
- Report: Kings signing Marco Belinelli to three-year, $19 million contract 19
- Report: Knicks to sign Robin Lopez to four-year, $54 million contract (unless DeAndre Jordan changes his mind) 12
- PBT Extra: Free agent signings we didn’t love 6
- Report: Wes Matthews reaches agreement to join Dallas Mavericks 23