Apr 19, 2011, 8:15 AM EDT
Few guys had a career that involved as much transformation as Jason Williams.
He was a high school teammate of Randy Moss who was suspended and eventually kicked off his college team at Florida. He entered the NBA all flash — ridiculous passes (like the legendary elbow pass from the Rookie Game) and wild moves, just follow this link to the highlights — but eventually he settled down and was the steady point guard on the 2006 championship Heat (scoring 12 points a game in those playoffs.
That career ended as Williams announced his retirement after a dozen years in the league. He had battled injuries all season and was not on the Memphis playoff roster.
For his career he averaged 10.5 points and 5.9 assists per game for a career that included time with the Kings as well as the Grizzlies (twice), Heat and Magic. Numbers do a poor job of capturing what he brings to the party — he knew how to put on a show. But by the end he was a more traditional point guard, a guy who last year gave the Magic solid backup minutes at the point.
He will be missed. He was a unique player ad personality.
- A ‘devastated’ Manu Ginobili says he has no clue how Spurs will re-energize in time for Game 7 4
- Spurs execution fails them when it matters most. Can they get it back for Game 7? 5
- Heat force a Finals Game 7 with thrilling overtime win over Spurs 7
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 96
- PBT Extra: Talking Duncan, LeBron legacies; plus Game 6 12
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 (98)
- If Spurs win, it is LeBron’s legacy that will take biggest hit (83)
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- LeBron James: “I just have to play better” (78)
- Heat’s Big Three dominate Game 4 to even the Finals at two games apiece (74)
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Patriots' Hernandez questioned in murder investigation
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- HBT: Mets' Wheeler goes six scoreless in MLB debut
- Lolo Jones' attempt at humor backfires
- Play Video: Bosh: 'We'll see who hits first'
- Play Video: PBT Extra: LeBron's legacy at stake, Duncan's safe
- Play Video: Clippers, Celtics discussions 'can't be wrong'
- Play Video: Elliot looks ahead to Game 6
- Play Video: The Hype: How much would you pay to punch someone?
- Play Video: If Heat lose, 'all hell will break loose'