Apr 18, 2011, 4:28 PM EDT
One day after a Kendrick Perkins tip in ended up being a key part of Oklahoma City’s win over Denver, the league has admitted the referees blew it. Never should have counted.
I’m sure that makes George Karl feel so much better.
You can see the video here, but let us set the stage: The Thunder were up by one with 1:05 seconds left when Russell Westbrook pulled up for a 13 footer, which was bouncing around and apparently on its way off the rim when Perkins leapt, got his hand in the net then tipped in the ball that was still over the cylinder. (NBA rules do not allow you to tap a ball sitting on or above the rim, the ball has to fall off before it can be touched.)
It was an obvious offensive goaltending call and everyone new it… except the referees missed it. The tip put the Thunder up three and could never get over that hump. That tip mattered.
Here is the official statement from the league:
“Kendrick Perkins was improperly credited with a basket that should have been ruled offensive basket interference with 1:05 remaining in last night’s game. Although a player is permitted to touch the net while the ball is in the cylinder above the rim, Perkins also touched the ball while it was still in the cylinder which is a violation and constitutes goaltending.”
Like we said, you know George Karl is just thrilled to hear this now.
- Portland comes from 10 down in fourth quarter to win 99-92, stay alive in series 0
- Bucks stay alive behind big backcourt performance to force Game 6 vs. Bulls 10
- Incredible 35-point performance from Deron Williams leads Nets to overtime Game 4 win over Hawks 9
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Wizard’s defense peaking at right time 2
- Report: Chandler Parsons to have knee surgery, could require microfracture surgery 6
- Cavaliers’ J.R. Smith gets two-game suspension for shot to Jae Crowder’s head 38
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Draymond Green helped hold Anthony Davis in relative check 6
- Cavaliers’ Kevin Love out for entire conference semifinals (likely vs. Bulls) 15