Apr 18, 2011, 4:52 PM EDT
Nate McMillan might as well have pulled out his checkbook while he was talking to the media after his Trail Blazers’ Game One loss to the Mavericks Saturday.
The amount to write in — $35,000. That’s what the league announced.
That’s pretty steep, but NBA Commissioner David Stern had warned that after last year (where there was a rash of complaints about officiating early in the playoffs last year and Stern wanted to nip it in the bud this time).
Dallas shot 19 fourth quarter free throws to Portland’s two on Saturday. That led to McMillan to tell the Oregonian:
The free throws, I just don’t get that,” McMillan said. “It’s hard for our guys to know how to play out there when it’s called a little different. (The free throw difference was) 19-2 in the fourth quarter. And I felt like we were attacking and guys really didn’t know how to play with the fouls that we’re being called.”
“A lot of touch fouls and I thought that (gave them) momentum and pretty much gave them control of the game in the fourth quarter,” McMillan said. “This game was pretty much decided at the line in the fourth quarter.”
Like I said, he might as well have started writing he check while he was talking.
Note to the Blazers: Dallas was the more aggressive, attacking team in the fourth quarter, too. That is why they got to the line more. In the NBA the calls go to the aggressor, if you want them earn them.
- If traded before World Cup starts could Kevin Love still play for USA? Colangelo said it’s possible. 1
- Anthony Davis steps into spotlight, is Team USA’s lynchpin 16
- Referee Violet Palmer comes out publicly as gay 41
- Report: Cavaliers last team standing in Kevin Love trade talks 85
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 56
- Coach K on Rose: “Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back” 30
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 43
- Report: Sixers fighting against immediate changes to NBA Draft Lottery system 59