Knicks’ Chauncey Billups “very questionable” for Game 2

Apr 18, 2011, 12:20 PM EDT

Knicks Celtics Basketball AP

UPDATE 12:20 pm: Billups sat out practice and Mike D’Antoni called him “very questionable” for Game 2 Tuesday, night, according to a tweet from Alan Hahn of Newsday.

That could be real trouble for the Knicks. In that game and in the series.

8:11 am: The Knicks could have used Chauncey Billups at the end of Game 1 Sunday, and now they might not have him for Game 2 at all.

Billups landed awkwardly and tweaked his knee with just 50 seconds left in what was at the time a tie game Sunday and went straight to the locker room not to return. What he told A. Sherrod Blakely of CSN New England is that he could miss time.

“My knee just kind of buckled,” Billups told CSNNE.com shortly after the game. “I’m not really sure what really happened.”

Billups later told reporters that he “had no clue” if he would be able to play on Tuesday.

“We got a couple days, and I’ll just be treating it as long as I can,” Billups said.

Added Knicks coach Mike D’Antoni: “I know he’s hurting right now and we’ll find out (Monday), I guess. I don’t think it’s anything more than it’s going to hurt. If it hurts too much he can’t play, and if it doesn’t, he’ll be ready to go.”

In a series that looks to be entertaining and tightly contested, the presence of Billups could be huge. He is the 2004 finals MVP and has a reputation for hitting big shots.

1. andyhr17 - Apr 18, 2011 at 8:40 AM

He’ll play. He’ll probably be sore as hell, but I can’t see him not playing. I’m sure he doesn’t want to be called a “Cutler”.

2. dysraw1 - Apr 18, 2011 at 8:53 AM

there goes my x factor

3. zrbk - Apr 18, 2011 at 9:18 AM

If the Celtics end up losing this series, it won’t be because of Amare or Carmelo. Billups is the formidable Mr. Big Shot that will decide the fate of the Knicks when things get nasty.

4. yankeesjetsknicksrangers - Apr 18, 2011 at 3:45 PM

I don’t get it……………….

Knee’s buckle because something on the interior gives way.

• andyhr17 - Apr 18, 2011 at 8:33 PM

Maybe they can just list him as questionable for the rest of the series like the Celts do with Shaq….then reveal he tore his MCL after it’s over.

Why can't Lakers have a player-coach?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches