Apr 18, 2011, 12:47 PM EST
Amare Stoudemire had 28 points, 11 rebounds and a few key baskets for the Knicks down the stretch in Game 1. (He might have had more if the Knicks hadn’t inexplicably stopped feeding him the ball.)
Stoudemire looked like the force he was earlier in the season. It looked like Boston couldn’t really stop him. But Boston’s Glen “Big Baby” Davis didn’t see it that way. Davis and Stoudemire jaw all the time on the court, and they carried that over to meetings with the press. Like the Boston Herald.
“It’s really not that hard; I don’t know why,” Davis said before the Celtics-Knicks playoff series began. “I’ve been tripping. I give him too much credit.”
It didn’t really matter that Davis did add that he needed to be vigilant — “If he gets a step on you, he’s too strong…”
Stoudemire, of course, fired back. In the “you’re not really comparing us, are you?” kind of way.
“I’m sorry, but me and Glen Davis are on two different platforms right now,” said Stoudemire, who scored a game-high 28 points in Game 1 last night, but watched the C’s rally for an 87-85 victory. “He’s a solid player, does a great job for his ballclub right now, but we’re on two different platforms.”
Asked to comment on Davis (two points, five rebounds last night), Stoudemire said, “He’s great for his team. He comes in and plays hard. He rebounds the ball well. He really gets it going. It’s great to play against him because we both talk, we both get ourselves going out there on the court. It’s a lot of fun.”
Okay, that’s not real impressive or incisive smack talk. It’s frankly high school freshman smack talk. But as both of these guys are pretty media savvy and know how many media sharks are in the water around this series, they are playing nice. Relatively.
It will be fun to watch these to go at it for a few more games. But if I were a Knicks fan, there would be other things I’d be more worried about than what Davis says.
- Joe Johnson says players noticed friction between Jason Kidd and Lawrence Frank 12
- ‘Melo says Knicks players “worried” Woodson could lose job if losing continues 6
- The Extra Pass: Chemistry clicking in Denver as Nuggets beat Nets to win seventh straight, and Tuesday’s recaps 2
- Tuesday night NBA Grades: Michael Carter-Williams, Victor Oladipo with dueling rookie triple doubles 5
- PBT Podcast for Dec. 3: We answer twitter questions on Blazers, Pacers vs. Monstars 0
- Kobe Bryant takes to Twitter to defend his contract extension (100)
- Report: Dion Waiters accused Kyrie Irving, Tristan Thompson of playing “buddy ball.” (53)
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (50)
- John Wall: ‘I’m the best point guard in the league’ (45)
- With game in balance, Jason Kidd tells player to “hit me,” spills drink, gets psuedo timeout to draw up play (39)