Apr 17, 2011, 11:59 AM EDT
The Bucks had a lot of problems this year. They started with injuries which pushed the team’s offense on a downward spiral that ended at a point where they couldn’t throw a pea in the ocean (to steal an old Chick Hearn line).
The Bucks could defend, as all Scott Skiles teams do, but their offense was a mess.
But Skiles told the Journal Sentinel there were other problems, specific leadership issues in the clubhouse. The issue being there wasn’t any.
“It’s fair to say we did not have good leadership on our team this year,” said coach Scott Skiles. “But that’s something you can’t manufacture. You can’t just say that guy is a leader.
“I guarantee you’d be shocked in all pro sports, when you’re on the inside of something like this and you know the league and players and coaches, and somebody in the media will say, ‘That guy’s the leader of that team’. Often times, it’s so far from the truth that it’s ridiculous.
“You can’t manufacture that. It just naturally happens. Some people are just natural leaders. Other people can cultivate it some themselves. And then you need both. If you have good leadership on the team you also need guys that will follow the leader. Chemistry and all those things are very fragile things.”
Should that be Brandon Jennings’s role as the young future of the team at the point?
“I would not assume that Brandon has any of those abilities yet…just because he has the ball in his hands all the time,” said Skiles. “It’s something we constantly talk about. It’s something he’s trying to work towards but it doesn’t come naturally to him so it’s definitely a work in progress.”
To use another sports cliché (we fall back on those on Sunday mornings) — winning cures all ills. If next year the Bucks are healthier and some shots start to fall, the leadership issues will clear themselves up fast. Health is the biggest issue with this team, they suffered more man games lost to injury and the most lost minutes of key rotation players of any team in the league.
- Adam Silver: NBA stars playing in international competition face ‘a big risk’ 12
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 11
- Report: Don’t be so sure on Anthony Bennett to Philadelphia rumors 54
- Report: Nike gets chance to match 10-year, $265 million offer to Kevin Durant from Under Armour 17
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 18
- Report: Suns discussing trade possibilities for Eric Bledsoe 34
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 32
- Kevin Durant reiterates that rest was his reason for withdrawing from Team USA 11