Apr 17, 2011, 10:41 AM EDT
In the fourth quarter Saturday, the Dallas Mavericks shot 19 free throws, the Portland Trail Blazers 2.
That was key to the Dallas win. After the game Blazers coach Nate McMillan sounded like a guy who wanted to avoid getting a fine for questioning the officiating, but he couldn’t help himself, as reported in the Oregonian.
“The free throws, I just don’t get that,” McMillan said. “It’s hard for our guys to know how to play out there when it’s called a little different. (The free throw difference was) 19-2 in the fourth quarter. And I felt like we were attacking and guys really didn’t know how to play with the fouls that we’re being called.”
“A lot of touch fouls and I thought that (gave them) momentum and pretty much gave them control of the game in the fourth quarter,” McMillan said. “This game was pretty much decided at the line in the fourth quarter.”
The free throw disparity was 29-13 for the game.
Part of why Dallas got those fourth quarter free throws however was Dirk Nowitzki was aggressive and drawing fouls — he’s good at that.
But this is just the first of a lot of coaches willing to pay the coming fine from the league to make a point — get it in the referees heads the numbers were unfair and try to gain your own advantage in the next game. The number of coaches that do this increases in the second round and beyond, but McMillian wanted to get an early start.
- Chris Paul discusses his signature shoe, hoops with media at launch of his Jordan Brand CP3 VIII (VIDEO) 2
- 67RIEFNS No. 1: Tom Thibodeau managing his bigs 16
- Derrick Rose knows injury questions will keep coming. And coming. And coming. 7
- FIBA World Cup preview: USA, Spain, then who else can medal? 0
- Official ‘Clippers’ Number 1 Fan’ on herself and Donald Sterling: ‘I’ll always feel it’s our team’ 17
- Cavaliers GM admits concerns about rim protection on defense 19
- Coach K had DeMarcus Cousins as USA’s backup big long before final cuts 6
- World Cup preview: No Durant, no problem USA still one of two teams with legit shot to win gold 6