Apr 16, 2011, 11:10 AM EST
Last summer, before he even took control of the team, new Warriors owner Joe Lacob started to make changes — Don Nelson was out, Keith Smart was in for a year (it was a one-year contract) and they went out and got David Lee. The Warriors got 10 games better.
But now Lacob is starting to lay in the long-term plans.
That starts with extending the deal of existing GM Larry Riley a coupe years, Then the team hired Bob Meyers, an agent with the Wasserman Media Group, as an assistant GM reports Matt Steinmetz at CSN Bay Area. Meyers was the agent for a number of players including Dorell Wright (Warriors), DeAndre Jordan (Clippers), Brandon Roy (Trail Blazers), Tyreke Evans (Kings) and Brook Lopez (Nets).
The plan is for Meyers to take over for Riley in a couple years, Lacob said.
So where does that leave current coach Keith Smart. Limbo, Riley told Steinmetz.
Riley said that there has been no decision made on the fate of coach Keith Smart, and that no decision would likely come for at least a week or 10 days. Lacob went further and suggested it could be longer than two weeks before a decision is made.
It looks now like Lacob is laying out the long-term foundation in the front office. Whether Smart was part of that plan or a stopgap is something they are clearly still deciding.
Smart was solid in his debut — the Warriors got better and were about what everyone expected given their talent, a team in the mid-30s in wins — but nobody is going to confuse him with Tom Thibodeau’s debut either. The question on Smart has to start with “what kind of team do we want to build?” Once you have a plan, then you can hire a coach to execute it. Which may or may not be Smart.
- Sources: Kings prefer George Karl, not serious about hiring Mark Jackson 8
- Nuggets Danilo Gallinari has meniscus tear in right knee, out three weeks after surgery 5
- Rajon Rondo was very Rondoesque in debut with Mavericks (VIDEO) 19
- Report: Kings discussing trade for Deron Williams with Nets 12
- Report: Multiple teams contacting Suns trying to trade for Goran Dragic 10
- Clippers rip officials after being called for seven technical fouls in loss to Nuggets 18
- Jeremy Lin after Kobe misses at the buzzer: ‘I like game-winners too’ 60
- Damian Lillard drops career high 43, leads Blazers to 3OT win over Spurs (VIDEO) 8