Apr 16, 2011, 11:10 AM EST
Last summer, before he even took control of the team, new Warriors owner Joe Lacob started to make changes — Don Nelson was out, Keith Smart was in for a year (it was a one-year contract) and they went out and got David Lee. The Warriors got 10 games better.
But now Lacob is starting to lay in the long-term plans.
That starts with extending the deal of existing GM Larry Riley a coupe years, Then the team hired Bob Meyers, an agent with the Wasserman Media Group, as an assistant GM reports Matt Steinmetz at CSN Bay Area. Meyers was the agent for a number of players including Dorell Wright (Warriors), DeAndre Jordan (Clippers), Brandon Roy (Trail Blazers), Tyreke Evans (Kings) and Brook Lopez (Nets).
The plan is for Meyers to take over for Riley in a couple years, Lacob said.
So where does that leave current coach Keith Smart. Limbo, Riley told Steinmetz.
Riley said that there has been no decision made on the fate of coach Keith Smart, and that no decision would likely come for at least a week or 10 days. Lacob went further and suggested it could be longer than two weeks before a decision is made.
It looks now like Lacob is laying out the long-term foundation in the front office. Whether Smart was part of that plan or a stopgap is something they are clearly still deciding.
Smart was solid in his debut — the Warriors got better and were about what everyone expected given their talent, a team in the mid-30s in wins — but nobody is going to confuse him with Tom Thibodeau’s debut either. The question on Smart has to start with “what kind of team do we want to build?” Once you have a plan, then you can hire a coach to execute it. Which may or may not be Smart.
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: James Harden, LeBron James want your MVP vote 9
- Report: Sixers agree to buyout with JaVale McGee; he can sign with contender 22
- Bulls’ Jimmy Butler leaves with elbow injury, does not return (VIDEO) 0
- Adam Silver says data may prove Gregg Popovich right in terms of resting multiple players 12
- Rockets general manager Daryl Morey proposes loosening NBA trade rules 6
- Derrick Rose starts rehab, in “good spirits” after knee surgery 11
- Russell Westbrook undergoes procedure to address cheek fracture, will be re-evaluated next week 6
- Russell Westbrook takes knee to face, it leaves dent (VIDEO) 15