Apr 16, 2011, 11:10 AM EDT
Last summer, before he even took control of the team, new Warriors owner Joe Lacob started to make changes — Don Nelson was out, Keith Smart was in for a year (it was a one-year contract) and they went out and got David Lee. The Warriors got 10 games better.
But now Lacob is starting to lay in the long-term plans.
That starts with extending the deal of existing GM Larry Riley a coupe years, Then the team hired Bob Meyers, an agent with the Wasserman Media Group, as an assistant GM reports Matt Steinmetz at CSN Bay Area. Meyers was the agent for a number of players including Dorell Wright (Warriors), DeAndre Jordan (Clippers), Brandon Roy (Trail Blazers), Tyreke Evans (Kings) and Brook Lopez (Nets).
The plan is for Meyers to take over for Riley in a couple years, Lacob said.
So where does that leave current coach Keith Smart. Limbo, Riley told Steinmetz.
Riley said that there has been no decision made on the fate of coach Keith Smart, and that no decision would likely come for at least a week or 10 days. Lacob went further and suggested it could be longer than two weeks before a decision is made.
It looks now like Lacob is laying out the long-term foundation in the front office. Whether Smart was part of that plan or a stopgap is something they are clearly still deciding.
Smart was solid in his debut — the Warriors got better and were about what everyone expected given their talent, a team in the mid-30s in wins — but nobody is going to confuse him with Tom Thibodeau’s debut either. The question on Smart has to start with “what kind of team do we want to build?” Once you have a plan, then you can hire a coach to execute it. Which may or may not be Smart.
- Report: Mavericks looking to move No. 13 pick to clear out cap space for run at Howard, CP3 26
- Report: Mike Krzyzewski to return, coach Team USA in 2016 Olympics 13
- Lakers GM Kupchak denies he, Howard talked about D’Antoni 19
- Kevin Love and Flip Saunders hitting it off 6
- Three things about Game 2: Tony Parker is that good but Randolph, Grizzlies figuring it out 6
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (89)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (75)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- Live Extra: Watch Penguins-Senators, Game 4
- LIVE: Heat host Pacers in Game 1 of East finals
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games