Apr 15, 2011, 6:05 PM EST
The coaching carousel has not started spinning yet.
We keep expecting the music, we hear who is on the hot seat or likely gone, but nothing yet. Because owners are taking their time, reports Marc Spears at Yahoo.
Take Kurt Rambis in Minnesota. (Please.) Everyone knows he’s expected to be let go, but so far nothing.
Rambis is expected to be fired, but it’s uncertain when the decision will be announced, several league sources told Yahoo! Sports….
Another league source described Rambis’ chances of keeping his job as “slim,” saying the only thing that could save him is if Wolves ownership doesn’t want to eat the remaining money on his contract and hire someone new with a possible lockout approaching.
That lockout concern will be a running theme with coaching changes.
In Detroit, John Kuester is still on the job because the sale of the team is not complete to Tom Gores yet, Spears reports.
A source close to the Pistons said the season’s drama will likely lead to Kuester’s dismissal under new owner Tom Gores, even though an official decision isn’t expected soon. Kuester is 57-107 in two seasons coaching the Pistons and the franchise failed to make the playoffs in consecutive seasons for the first time since 1995.
NBA Commissioner David Stern said in press conferences today they expect the sale to be complete around the end of May.
Then there is Keith Smart in golden State, where no decision has been made.
An NBA source, however, told Yahoo! Sports that Warriors ownership is in no rush to make a decision on Smart. It also will be interesting to see if the new owners feel the need to make a splash with a new coach.
The lockout complicates thing for any coach hired — there will be shorted training camps and very possibly a shortened season. Changing systems will be more difficult. That may cause some teams to stand pat this summer when they otherwise would have made a move.
- Where I call out Dan Patrick, Charles Barkley for sounding like old men asking, “When did basketball get so bad?” 1
- Adam Silver: NBA to consider doing away with divisions 9
- The Extra Pass: Five quick ways to improve the league; plus Monday’s Recaps 10
- Monday night NBA Grades: DeMarcus Cousins was in beast mode 3
- PBT Extra: Kobe Bryant is back, doesn’t have much time to get it right 5
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (65)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (52)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (47)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (43)
- Durant tells “60 Minutes Sports” he’s still tired of being No. 2 (35)