Apr 15, 2011, 6:05 PM EDT
The coaching carousel has not started spinning yet.
We keep expecting the music, we hear who is on the hot seat or likely gone, but nothing yet. Because owners are taking their time, reports Marc Spears at Yahoo.
Take Kurt Rambis in Minnesota. (Please.) Everyone knows he’s expected to be let go, but so far nothing.
Rambis is expected to be fired, but it’s uncertain when the decision will be announced, several league sources told Yahoo! Sports….
Another league source described Rambis’ chances of keeping his job as “slim,” saying the only thing that could save him is if Wolves ownership doesn’t want to eat the remaining money on his contract and hire someone new with a possible lockout approaching.
That lockout concern will be a running theme with coaching changes.
In Detroit, John Kuester is still on the job because the sale of the team is not complete to Tom Gores yet, Spears reports.
A source close to the Pistons said the season’s drama will likely lead to Kuester’s dismissal under new owner Tom Gores, even though an official decision isn’t expected soon. Kuester is 57-107 in two seasons coaching the Pistons and the franchise failed to make the playoffs in consecutive seasons for the first time since 1995.
NBA Commissioner David Stern said in press conferences today they expect the sale to be complete around the end of May.
Then there is Keith Smart in golden State, where no decision has been made.
An NBA source, however, told Yahoo! Sports that Warriors ownership is in no rush to make a decision on Smart. It also will be interesting to see if the new owners feel the need to make a splash with a new coach.
The lockout complicates thing for any coach hired — there will be shorted training camps and very possibly a shortened season. Changing systems will be more difficult. That may cause some teams to stand pat this summer when they otherwise would have made a move.
- Jim Boeheim says Knicks problem is not Carmelo, it’s everyone else 3
- Report: Tony Parker got death threats during Game 1 7
- Kobe tweets he wants Howard and Gasol back with Lakers 13
- Why there’s a 100 percent chance the NBA lottery is fixed 18
- Stan Van Gundy says he will not coach anywhere next season 4
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (121)
- Knicks predictably drop Game 4 to Pacers, fall behind 3-1 (93)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (87)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (75)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Grizzlies aim to stem Spurs' momentum
- HBT: Yankees buying share of expansion MLS team
- PHT: Kings searching for killer instinct in Game 4
- PFT: Romo out of OTAs after back surgery
- PFT: NFL want to make Pro Bowl like game show
- PFT: Bucs saw Revis injury as opportunity
- Wings stun Hawks again, take 2-1 series lead
- Play Video: Grizzlies ready for 'running' Spurs
- Play Video: Durant won't 'compromise himself' like other stars
- Play Video: Knicks avoid elimination
- Play Video: Heat finish off Bulls, James 'has no energy left'
- Play Video: Health woes make Heat vulnerable
- Play Video: Good news for Sacramento, Kings stay