Apr 15, 2011, 9:45 AM EDT
Kevin Perkins was supposed to bring more than just defense and rebounding to Oklahoma City, he was supposed to bring some snarl.
Call it attitude or swagger or whatever you want, he was supposed to bring a little of that “it” championship teams have to the Thunder.
The Nuggets have a word for it — cocky. That’s what was reported in the Oklahoman.
Reserve point guard Raymond Felton on Monday went on the record with Denver reporters saying he hoped to draw the Thunder in the opening round. Felton, according to the Denver Post, said he felt like his team owed Oklahoma City because the Thunder was talking trash in the teams’ final two regular season meetings, both Thunder wins. Nuggets coach George Karl was even more candid. Karl was quoted as saying, “There’s no question there’s a cockiness to Oklahoma City.”
The Thunder have so far played the role of fresh-faced young up-and-comers everyone loves. In the locker room they joked around but were not a team that talked a lot of trash through the press. They were taken aback by the charge.
But Perkins didn’t exactly back down.
“We haven’t (done anything) but win basketball games,” Perkins said. “But if you feel that way, the only thing you can do is do something about it. If not then be quiet.”
Durant made a point to explain the difference between playing with fire versus poking fun at an opponent following the final buzzer. It suggested there was indeed some sort of in-game smack being tossed about.
“You can’t be too nice in this league,” Durant said. “I guess that’s what they’re referring to. But we don’t do any talking in the media. I make sure guys don’t do any of that. So I don’t see where they get those comments from.”
Denver against Oklahoma City was already going to be one of the better first-round matchups. A little bad blood makes it all the more interesting. And you can bet there will be some trash talking on the court now.
- Report: Timberwolves to end up with Thad Young, Anthony Bennett as part of Kevin Love trade 65
- Adam Silver: NBA stars playing in international competition face ‘a big risk’ 12
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 13
- Report: Don’t be so sure on Anthony Bennett to Philadelphia rumors 54
- Report: Nike gets chance to match 10-year, $265 million offer to Kevin Durant from Under Armour 18
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 20
- Report: Suns discussing trade possibilities for Eric Bledsoe 36
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 32