Apr 15, 2011, 9:45 AM EDT
Kevin Perkins was supposed to bring more than just defense and rebounding to Oklahoma City, he was supposed to bring some snarl.
Call it attitude or swagger or whatever you want, he was supposed to bring a little of that “it” championship teams have to the Thunder.
The Nuggets have a word for it — cocky. That’s what was reported in the Oklahoman.
Reserve point guard Raymond Felton on Monday went on the record with Denver reporters saying he hoped to draw the Thunder in the opening round. Felton, according to the Denver Post, said he felt like his team owed Oklahoma City because the Thunder was talking trash in the teams’ final two regular season meetings, both Thunder wins. Nuggets coach George Karl was even more candid. Karl was quoted as saying, “There’s no question there’s a cockiness to Oklahoma City.”
The Thunder have so far played the role of fresh-faced young up-and-comers everyone loves. In the locker room they joked around but were not a team that talked a lot of trash through the press. They were taken aback by the charge.
But Perkins didn’t exactly back down.
“We haven’t (done anything) but win basketball games,” Perkins said. “But if you feel that way, the only thing you can do is do something about it. If not then be quiet.”
Durant made a point to explain the difference between playing with fire versus poking fun at an opponent following the final buzzer. It suggested there was indeed some sort of in-game smack being tossed about.
“You can’t be too nice in this league,” Durant said. “I guess that’s what they’re referring to. But we don’t do any talking in the media. I make sure guys don’t do any of that. So I don’t see where they get those comments from.”
Denver against Oklahoma City was already going to be one of the better first-round matchups. A little bad blood makes it all the more interesting. And you can bet there will be some trash talking on the court now.
- Why I am going to miss Steve Nash 26
- Victor Oladipo out indefinitely after taking elbow in practice, suffering facial fracture 13
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New Orleans Pelicans 10
- Five teams poised to make a big leap forward this season 5
- Steve Nash to miss entire 2014-15 season with ongoing back injuries 70
- Jeanie Buss: ‘Any free agent that would be afraid to play with Kobe Bryant is probably a loser’ 71
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Memphis Grizzlies 8
- Five top candidates for NBA Rookie of the Year 30