Apr 15, 2011, 9:45 AM EDT
Kevin Perkins was supposed to bring more than just defense and rebounding to Oklahoma City, he was supposed to bring some snarl.
Call it attitude or swagger or whatever you want, he was supposed to bring a little of that “it” championship teams have to the Thunder.
The Nuggets have a word for it — cocky. That’s what was reported in the Oklahoman.
Reserve point guard Raymond Felton on Monday went on the record with Denver reporters saying he hoped to draw the Thunder in the opening round. Felton, according to the Denver Post, said he felt like his team owed Oklahoma City because the Thunder was talking trash in the teams’ final two regular season meetings, both Thunder wins. Nuggets coach George Karl was even more candid. Karl was quoted as saying, “There’s no question there’s a cockiness to Oklahoma City.”
The Thunder have so far played the role of fresh-faced young up-and-comers everyone loves. In the locker room they joked around but were not a team that talked a lot of trash through the press. They were taken aback by the charge.
But Perkins didn’t exactly back down.
“We haven’t (done anything) but win basketball games,” Perkins said. “But if you feel that way, the only thing you can do is do something about it. If not then be quiet.”
Durant made a point to explain the difference between playing with fire versus poking fun at an opponent following the final buzzer. It suggested there was indeed some sort of in-game smack being tossed about.
“You can’t be too nice in this league,” Durant said. “I guess that’s what they’re referring to. But we don’t do any talking in the media. I make sure guys don’t do any of that. So I don’t see where they get those comments from.”
Denver against Oklahoma City was already going to be one of the better first-round matchups. A little bad blood makes it all the more interesting. And you can bet there will be some trash talking on the court now.
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 3
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 5
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 27
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 32
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 4