Apr 15, 2011, 11:32 AM EDT
And this is where Dallas really misses Caron Butler…
After Rodrigue Beaubois struggled as the team’s starting two guard since returning from an injury, Mavericks coach Rick Carlisle has decided to put DeShawn Stevenson back in as the starter, according to Tim MacMahon at ESPN Dallas.
While Carlisle went Belichick and tried to hide his intentions, it was pretty obvious what was going down. And mostly it is Beauois that is going down for now.
“Things change,” Carlisle said. “And you’ve got to be judged by performance. I think the last time I said, ‘I’m sticking with this kid’ was over a week ago. Some things have changed in that period of time. That’s just the way it is.”
Beaubois is potentially dynamic, the kind of quick and creative player the Mavericks really need. Except he hasn’t been, he’s looked like a guy who had all his confidence taken away. He has shot just 42.2 percent (down from 51.8 last year), and is shooting 30 percent from three (down from 40). He can’t hit from the midrange and his turnovers have increased. Carlisle gave Beaubois every chance to earn the starting job, but now that the games really matter he’s going back to what worked.
Stevenson worked, and his teammates are glad to have him back as a starter.
“He’s so solid, man — just defensive presence, understands our defensive scheme, being able to knock down open shots, he’s not going to get out of his box, he’s going to make the right pass, just that person on the court that’s just solid,” center Tyson Chandler said. “We need more that.”
Solid is good. Better than what Roddy B. was giving them. But will solid be enough against a dynamic and confident Trail Blazer team?
- Phil Jackson says Knicks wanted Goran Dragic at trade deadline. Because he’s such a triangle fit? 10
- Report: Cavaliers sign Matthew Dellavedova 7
- Heat trade Zoran Dragic, second-rounder to Celtics 10
- Report: Cavaliers trade Brendan Haywood, Mike Miller, two second-round picks to Portland 16
- Blake Griffin, Stephen Curry among latest big names headed to Team USA mini-camp 7
- Kyrie Irving off crutches, cleared by doctors to start working out 8
- Report: Becky Hammon gaining traction around the NBA as “serious” head-coaching candidate 42
- Gregg Popovich discusses three-point shot, changing roles for bigs in NBA 4