Apr 14, 2011, 5:45 PM EST
Tuesday night against the Lakers, Gregg Popovich sat his three big stars and there were people saying that he was just tanking to make sure the Spurs avoided the Lakers in the second round.
He played them Wednesday night, to get them some run, and showed why it’s a good idea to sit them.
MRI results on Manu Ginobili’s right elbow show a sprain and he is now doubtful for Game 1 Sunday against the Grizzlies, according to a tweet from Mike Monroe in San Antonio.
The second game in that series is Wednesday.
San Antonio expects a tough first round match up against a Grizzlies team with a strong front line — Zach Randolph and Marc Gasol — as well as some talented guys playing well on the wings, like Tony Allen. San Antonio will need Ginobili to get comfortably through this round.
Ginobili injured himself on a fall after colliding with Grant Hill just 2:14 into the game.
- Where I call out Dan Patrick, Charles Barkley for sounding like old men asking, “When did basketball get so bad?” 1
- Adam Silver: NBA to consider doing away with divisions 9
- The Extra Pass: Five quick ways to improve the league; plus Monday’s Recaps 10
- Monday night NBA Grades: DeMarcus Cousins was in beast mode 3
- PBT Extra: Kobe Bryant is back, doesn’t have much time to get it right 5
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (65)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (52)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (47)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (43)
- Durant tells “60 Minutes Sports” he’s still tired of being No. 2 (35)