Apr 14, 2011, 5:45 PM EDT
Tuesday night against the Lakers, Gregg Popovich sat his three big stars and there were people saying that he was just tanking to make sure the Spurs avoided the Lakers in the second round.
He played them Wednesday night, to get them some run, and showed why it’s a good idea to sit them.
MRI results on Manu Ginobili’s right elbow show a sprain and he is now doubtful for Game 1 Sunday against the Grizzlies, according to a tweet from Mike Monroe in San Antonio.
The second game in that series is Wednesday.
San Antonio expects a tough first round match up against a Grizzlies team with a strong front line — Zach Randolph and Marc Gasol — as well as some talented guys playing well on the wings, like Tony Allen. San Antonio will need Ginobili to get comfortably through this round.
Ginobili injured himself on a fall after colliding with Grant Hill just 2:14 into the game.
- Report: Cavaliers last team standing in Kevin Love trade talks 52
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 46
- Coach K on Rose: “Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back” 22
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 43
- Report: Sixers fighting against immediate changes to NBA Draft Lottery system 59
- Team USA going small ball, but how many bigs do they keep on the bench? 4
- Report: LeBron James more popular than he ever was with the Heat 17
- Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold 7