Apr 14, 2011, 5:14 PM EDT
For a lot of the country, people who didn’t get to see Derrick Williams before he started shredding Duke and others in the NCAA, the Arizona forward was a revelation.
(Out here in Pac-10 country, we knew he was special. Of course, we didn’t know how good Landry Fields really was a year ago…)
So it should come as no surprise that, lockout or no, Williams is going to enter the NBA draft.
“After careful consideration and with the support of my family and Coach Miller, I have decided to declare for the 2011 NBA Draft,” said Williams. “I have enjoyed my two years at Arizona both on and off the court. I want to thank my teammates, who are like brothers to me, my coaches and all Wildcat Fans for making my experience an unforgettable one.”
DraftExpress currently has him as the No. 2 pick, behind only Kyrie Irving.
He’s very versatile — he shot 56 percent from three but can also score in the paint. He’s got NBA athleticism. You saw what he did on the biggest stage in college basketball.
He’s ready. Too bad we don’t get to see him at Summer League this year.
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 5
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 2
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 17
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 48
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10