Apr 14, 2011, 5:14 PM EDT
For a lot of the country, people who didn’t get to see Derrick Williams before he started shredding Duke and others in the NCAA, the Arizona forward was a revelation.
(Out here in Pac-10 country, we knew he was special. Of course, we didn’t know how good Landry Fields really was a year ago…)
So it should come as no surprise that, lockout or no, Williams is going to enter the NBA draft.
“After careful consideration and with the support of my family and Coach Miller, I have decided to declare for the 2011 NBA Draft,” said Williams. “I have enjoyed my two years at Arizona both on and off the court. I want to thank my teammates, who are like brothers to me, my coaches and all Wildcat Fans for making my experience an unforgettable one.”
DraftExpress currently has him as the No. 2 pick, behind only Kyrie Irving.
He’s very versatile — he shot 56 percent from three but can also score in the paint. He’s got NBA athleticism. You saw what he did on the biggest stage in college basketball.
He’s ready. Too bad we don’t get to see him at Summer League this year.
- Report: Clippers just need owner’s approval to finalize Garnett, Rivers trade 6
- PBT Extra: Previewing Heat/Spurs NBA Finals Game 7 6
- Utah Jazz bring back Jerry Sloan as team consultant 6
- Celtics, Clippers restart Doc Rivers-Kevin Garnett trades talks at Chris Paul’s wish 14
- Chris Bosh to fans who left Game 6 early: ‘Don’t come back for Game 7′ 43
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 (125)
- If Spurs win, it is LeBron’s legacy that will take biggest hit (85)
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- Chris Bosh blocks Spurs’ Game 6 comeback attempt (video) (80)
- Heat’s Big Three dominate Game 4 to even the Finals at two games apiece (74)
- Play Video: Bosh: 'We'll see who hits first'
- Play Video: Clippers, Celtics discussions 'can't be wrong'
- Play Video: Elliot looks ahead to Game 6
- Play Video: The Hype: How much would you pay to punch someone?
- Play Video: If Heat lose, 'all hell will break loose'
- Play Video: Green breaks NBA finals 3-point record