Apr 13, 2011, 5:46 PM EDT
Charlie Villanueva earned this one.
The Pistons reserve has been suspended five games, the league announced, after security — and eventually the police — had to keep him from going after Cleveland’s Ryan Hollins after a foul Monday night.
Villanueva will sit out the Pistons season finalie against the 76ers Wednesday, as well as the first four games of next season. Whenever that is.
The incident was one of the wilder ones of the season. Midway through the fourth quarter Monday Villanueva tried to set a pick on Hollins near the free throw line, and Hollins puts a little shoulder into Villanueva and the two got tangled up.
That’s when it got ugly. Villanueva’s elbows came up near Hollins face, Hollins answers in kind and pretty quickly the two are pushing each other and being separated. Both men get a technical and were ejected.
That’s when Villanueva just lost it. — he charged toward the Cavaliers bench with Pistons security trying to hold him back, ad Villanueva challenged Hollins to continue the fight out in the hallway by the locker rooms. That wasn’t going to happen. Security kept Hollins on the bench until Villanueva was in the Pistons locker room.
About 10 minutes after this police standing on a loading dock between the two locker rooms had to stop Villanueva from charging into the Cavaliers locker room again, according to multiple reports
So yes, he earned this one.
- Goran Dragic leading feisty Heat’s playoff push 15
- NBA Draft prospect matchups to watch in NCAA Tourament this weekend 2
- Report: LeBron James frustrated with Kevin Love for not fitting in 85
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Kevin Love seems to be fitting in just fine suddenly 4
- It’s official: Dwight Howard will return to Rockets’ lineup Wednesday 2
- Dwyane Wade on MVP race: “I would say James Harden” 26
- Report: Rockets’ Patrick Beverley has torn ligament in wrist, to decide course in 7-10 days 2
- Derrick Rose expects to be cleared for contact soon, says he feels no pain in right knee 9