Apr 13, 2011, 5:46 PM EDT
Charlie Villanueva earned this one.
The Pistons reserve has been suspended five games, the league announced, after security — and eventually the police — had to keep him from going after Cleveland’s Ryan Hollins after a foul Monday night.
Villanueva will sit out the Pistons season finalie against the 76ers Wednesday, as well as the first four games of next season. Whenever that is.
The incident was one of the wilder ones of the season. Midway through the fourth quarter Monday Villanueva tried to set a pick on Hollins near the free throw line, and Hollins puts a little shoulder into Villanueva and the two got tangled up.
That’s when it got ugly. Villanueva’s elbows came up near Hollins face, Hollins answers in kind and pretty quickly the two are pushing each other and being separated. Both men get a technical and were ejected.
That’s when Villanueva just lost it. — he charged toward the Cavaliers bench with Pistons security trying to hold him back, ad Villanueva challenged Hollins to continue the fight out in the hallway by the locker rooms. That wasn’t going to happen. Security kept Hollins on the bench until Villanueva was in the Pistons locker room.
About 10 minutes after this police standing on a loading dock between the two locker rooms had to stop Villanueva from charging into the Cavaliers locker room again, according to multiple reports
So yes, he earned this one.
- LeBron James on Kyrie Irving: “I believe Kyrie can be the best point guard in the league.” 16
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Boston Celtics 2
- Dwight Howard’s driver’s license in Florida suspended, he racked up 10 red light violations in Orlando 12
- Tim Duncan to appear in “The Punisher” comic book 6
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New York Knicks 10
- Klay Thompson’s agent: Thompson better two-way shooting guard than Kobe Bryant 50
- Report: Greg Oden’s drinking an issue during season, alleged domestic assault 31
- Kevin Durant calls Allen Iverson “pound for pound” best ever 29