Apr 13, 2011, 12:53 PM EDT
New York and Boston do not like each other.
Their baseball rivalry can at times dominate the sport (and your television, even if you’re just trying to get other scores). The Bruins and Rangers are original six, old-school hockey rivals. I wouldn’t be shocked if the New York Philharmonic and Boston POPS have street fights (which probably look a lot like West Side Story fights).
Basketball? Meh. They haven’t faced off in the playoffs in 21 years and in recent years when one franchise is good the other has been a doormat.
“I think it’s going to be fun,” said Pierce. “You definitely have that rivalry in baseball. Maybe we can spark a rivalry there in basketball. You’ve got two cities who are close, next to each other, great sports towns. I think it’s going to be great for the game.”
“It’s going to be a very interesting series,” said Pierce. “I know everybody’s going to tune in to watch it. I know this is going to be as exciting as probably that series versus the Lakers last year, or even the series we had [two years ago] versus the Bulls. I think it’s going to be very exciting for the fans to watch.”
As exciting as the NBA finals? Really?
And Boston had better hope it’s not as exciting as that Bulls series a couple years back, where Chicago pushed Boston to the limit. The older, veteran Celtics need to get through the first round as quickly and painlessly as possible — Miami is waiting on the other side of New York (sorry Philly) with younger legs and some real elite players to challenge the Celtics defense. Boston getting pushed in the first round takes more out of them for the second round.
Don’t expect Wednesday night’s Boston/New York game to be any kind of playoff preview. Boston will not have Shaquille O’Neal and Delonte West, and both teams are expected to play their bench guys big minutes. Think of this more as a game to see what guys will make the end of the playoff roster and not a series preview.
- Kevin Durant has grown close with Karl Malone 12
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Philadelphia 76ers 3
- Steve Kerr said Danny Ferry made mistake but is a “man of high character” 23
- LeBron James on Kyrie Irving: “I believe Kyrie can be the best point guard in the league.” 20
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Boston Celtics 4
- Dwight Howard’s driver’s license in Florida suspended, he racked up 10 red light violations in Orlando 17
- Tim Duncan to appear in “The Punisher” comic book 6
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New York Knicks 13