LeBron returns to top of NBA jersey sales pile

Apr 13, 2011, 11:40 AM EDT

Miami Heat v Atlanta Hawks Getty Images

Apparently, a lot of you wanted a LeBron James Miami Heat jersey.

Sure, you talked about his massive ego and how the decision was handled and how this reflected on him as a person — then a bunch of you went out and purchased a No. 6 Miami Heat jersey.

Which means in one sense — the global marketing sense — LeBron got what he wanted out of “The Decision” and his move to South Beach.

LeBron moved back into the throne on top of the NBA jersey sales list, according to the USA Today. He leapt over Kobe Bryant, who had been the leader the past several years but fell to second (based on sales at NBA.com and at the NBA store in Manhattan).

Often a star changing teams (or in Kobe’s case changing numbers) will spark jersey sales. But with the hit LeBron’s image took surrounding his summer decision and how it was handled, there were questions if he would see the same bump.

He has. LeBron has become a polarizing figure — people love him or hate him but there is no middle ground — but enough of the people who love him are buying jerseys to put him on top.

Maybe the biggest surprise is that Rajon Rondo climbed up the No. 3 spot. He led the way for the Celtics to sell the second most team merchandise, trailing the Lakers again.

The rest of the top 10 players in jersey sales were: Amar’e Stoudemire, Derrick Rose, Dwyane Wade, Kevin Durant, Carmelo Anthony, Dwight Howard, and rookie John Wall.

1. sguy2130 - Apr 13, 2011 at 12:09 PM

Miami bandwagon fans are just stocking up gear for the playoffs to pretend they watched the team during the season, no surprise here.

2. savocabol1 - Apr 13, 2011 at 1:09 PM

The only reason it is high is because of the same fairweather fans that sold out the season but never went to any games.

3. chargerdillon - Apr 13, 2011 at 1:27 PM

Maybe Lebron is just an amazing player to watch play basketball and because of that maybe they are fans of him and want his jersey.

I could really care less what he does off the court, when he’s playing basketball there are very few players as close to entertaining as him.

Because I respect his game so much, and because I generally hate haters, i’m the type of bandwagon fan who’d wear his jersey, not because I like the Heat but because he makes the game of basketball more exciting with his presence. I’m a hardcore Laker fan and yes I have a Kobe jersey and if i were to buy any other jersey, it would be Lebron James.

I guarantee you people who talk crap on fans for liking the Heat because of Lebron James arnt big fans of the Clippers and Warriors, but it has nothing to do with the lack of talent and success on those teams……no wait….YES IT DOES.

• louistaylored - Apr 13, 2011 at 6:16 PM

not to be nit-picky but if you hate haters…….doesn’t that make you too…..a hater?

4. lbcdeeznutz - Apr 13, 2011 at 5:44 PM

whoever chooses a lebron jersey before kobe’s is gay

• louistaylored - Apr 13, 2011 at 6:13 PM

lmao I dont think this is smart to say in light of the recent Kobe controversy

5. thestudiokida - Apr 13, 2011 at 5:58 PM

I watched about 75 Miami Heat games this year and about 150 Cleveland Cavalier games the last two years. I live in Charlotte… does this make me a bandwagon fan? Maybe. Do I give a damn? No.

I like watching good players play and LeBron & Wade are are 2 of the best I’ve ever seen.

6. barklikeadog - Apr 13, 2011 at 6:01 PM

I bet DeLonte West bought one for Gloria! And the others were bought for the earthquake/tsunami victims in Japan burn so they could keep warm. HATE the HEAT!

Wizards playing spoiler in East