Apr 13, 2011, 5:19 PM EDT
Lakers fans have never been so happy to hear the words “bone bruise” before.
An MRI on Lakers center Andrew Bynum’s right knee — the one surgically repaired last summer and tweaked last night in a game against the Spurs — shows only a bone bruise, according to a release by the team.
He will be ready to play when the Lakers open the playoffs this weekend. (That game will almost certainly be at 3:30 Eastern Sunday on ABC, although the opponent is still up in the air, it will be either New Orleans or Memphis.)
Bynum injured his knee running back up the court on defense Tuesday night, trying to stick with the Spurs DeJuan Blair and in doing so stepped on Blair’s foot. Bynum’s leg slid out from under him at an awkward angle. After the game both Blair and Lakers guard Shannon Brown (who was close to the play) called the fall “scary” because it looked so bad.
Bynum sat on the floor for a minute then when he did get up went straight to the locker room not to return to the game. However, he walked out of the arena last night with almost no limp and saying that while the injury hurt at first it had gotten considerably better.
All of which is good news for the Lakers — Bynum and his being an anchor on defense is key to the team’s three-peat chances.
The Lakers also announced that an MRI on Matt Barnes knee showed no new damage and he is expected to play this weekend as well.
- NBA Draft prospect matchups to watch in NCAA Tourament this weekend 1
- Report: LeBron James frustrated with Kevin Love for not fitting in 79
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Kevin Love seems to be fitting in just fine suddenly 4
- It’s official: Dwight Howard will return to Rockets’ lineup Wednesday 2
- Dwyane Wade on MVP race: “I would say James Harden” 27
- Report: Rockets’ Patrick Beverley has torn ligament in wrist, to decide course in 7-10 days 2
- Derrick Rose expects to be cleared for contact soon, says he feels no pain in right knee 9
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Tuesday: Warriors win Pacific Division, may win much more 20