Apr 13, 2011, 10:53 AM EDT
It’s not tanking for a playoff seed, it’s resting.
“Tony’s hurt,” Hollins said. “I didn’t want to play Zach these last two games because I want to get him some rest and get him healthy. He banged his elbow the other night. Tony’s knee swelled up. He would have played if I would have let him but I don’t know how effective he would have been.”
This will mean more Darrell Arthur, which is not a bad thing (he’s no Randolph but he’s played well this season). Arthur only played 15 minutes Tuesday night in Portland due to foul trouble. There is speculation in the Memphis media that Marc Gasol and other Grizzlies could sit as well Wednesday night.
The likely result of that is Memphis will lose to the Clippers Wednesday night, which will lock them in at the eight seed and mean they face San Antonio in the first round. (A Memphis win and a New Orleans loss would have Memphis the seven seed, meaning likely the Lakers.)
Which clearly is the goal, to target facing the Spurs and not the Lakers. It just seems an odd strategy — San Antonio does not have the Lakers size along the front line, but their level of execution is not something Memphis will be able to match. But the Grizzlies have picked their poison.
- Rumor: Kevin Love out minimum of two weeks, will likely miss most or all of series vs. Bulls 16
- Monta Ellis, J.J. Barea pairing ignites Mavericks offense, gets Dallas Game 4 win over Houston 3
- Wizards blow out Raptors to complete first-round sweep 17
- Chris Paul scores 34 points, Clippers win Game 4 to even series with Spurs 6
- Cavaliers advance to second round – but but maybe lose Kevin Love and moral high ground in process 55
- Mike Conley out for Game 4 with “serious” facial injury, no timetable for return 6
- Grizzlies start fast, hang on to beat Portland, take 3-0 series lead 2
- Bucks outwork Bulls, stay alive on Jerryd Bayless game-winner 6