New NBA Playoffs commercials feature talking ball

Apr 12, 2011, 8:29 PM EDT

basketball Getty Images

Meh.

Usually I’m pretty impressed with the NBA’s playoff advertising campaigns — the split face “there can be only one” series, the “Where Amazing Happens” piano commercials — but this year… not really loving it. Maybe it’s me. My taste can certainly be in question (for example, I don’t hate Jimmy Buffett). But this year’s talking ball thing is not working for me.

Love it or hate it we better get used to them because the series runs through the playoffs and finals. Whether I want them to or not. Sort of like that singing NAPA Auto Parts guy that may forever keep me out of that store.

Anyway, below is one of the series from Goodby Silverstein & Partners. When we get to the finals the balls will be interviewing Magic Johnson and Julius Erving. Seriously. That has been shot. Maybe my the start of June this will have grown on me.

1. ohkhan - Apr 12, 2011 at 9:24 PM

im with you, its just mad weird…

• aqzi - Apr 12, 2011 at 9:39 PM

Agreed. There can only be one and Where Amazing Happens were inspirational. I’m surprised and disappointed they went with humor instead.

• magglioorpwnez - May 12, 2011 at 6:51 PM

I’m not sure what they went with, but I wouldn’t call it humor.

2. philtration - Apr 12, 2011 at 10:56 PM

This is perfect for the casual NBA fan that does not know a thing about the game.
    You can find some of them right here on this site.

3. Colin Zvosec - Apr 12, 2011 at 11:38 PM

Is that the guy who does the voice of Moe from the Simpsons?

4. hollywood26 - Apr 13, 2011 at 1:46 PM

That was HORRIBLE!!!!!!!

5. louistaylored - Apr 13, 2011 at 5:47 PM

Yeah this one was kinda ehhh not my style, but I saw a better talking ball one that while still being a lil creepy was more my taste

6. magglioorpwnez - May 11, 2011 at 9:45 PM

I was occupied doing some academic work, while the Heat-Celtics game 5 was on in the background. The talking basketball commercial with Jordan came on. I immediately typed in “NBA talking basketball commercials terrible” or something similar into google, and this site came up. I took the time to create a WordPress account and leave this comment, expressing my disdain. That is how awful these commercials are.

I could write a dissertation on why these commercials are the worst, but here are the highlights:

1) Making an inanimate objects talk? I guess the NBA’s ad agency thinks their target audience is primarily composed of pre-schoolers. Even if this assumption were correct, viewers would be paying more attention to the paste they’re eating instead of commercials.

I’m sure the smug ad execs were in a room saying a bunch of bull like, “Let’s look at the emotion of these games from different perspectives… hmmm… what do all the games have in common… the ball… the ball has been a part of every game… if the ball could talk, what would it say… OMG THAT’S IT!! LET’S MAKE THE BALL TALK!! ” Idiocy in action.

2) Making the inanimate object serious while talking. The basketball was talking about some highly emotional moment where Michael Jordan was laying on the ground, touching a basketball or something (also: I’m not even really an NBA fan). What kind of idiot is thinking, “Wow, man that ball really moved me. I’m starting to tear up.”

3) Comparison to the excellent commercials of prior years. The slow-motion black and white, with the piano playing? Must be the only commercial I’ve ever seen with an epic feel to it. Now a talking ball? Jesus, talk about a downgrade.

That is all.

Stephenson goes elsewhere for his future
Top 10 NBA Player Searches