Apr 12, 2011, 10:27 PM EDT
Well, didn’t see this coming.
Why? Well they will say its to rest guys but if you like conspiracies you might say they are aiming — you could say tanking — for the eighth seed and a first-round date with San Antonio rather than risk getting the seven seed and the Lakers.
Follow the logic here. If Portland beats Memphis (much more likely with Randolph and Allen playing) then the Blazers are locked in to the six seed in the West. Memphis would fall into a tie with New Orleans with the Hornets having the tiebreaker — so Memphis is the seven seed, the Grizzlies the eight seed.
New Orleans faces Dallas on Wednesday, and following the above scenario if the Hornets won they would be the seven seed. If the Hornets were to lose to the Mavericks Wednesday, well, Memphis is playing the late game in Los Angeles against the Clippers and would learn the results of that game at halftime. So who knows who would play for Memphis in the second half against the Clippers.
If Memphis beat Portland but lost to a pretty good and hungry Clippers team, they would be the seventh seed. Meaning likely the Lakers.
Of course, that means all the actors have to play their parts (like the Lakers winning out to get the two seed). But Memphis seems to be going after a first round matchup with the Spurs.
- Report: The Clippers have let go of Vinny Del Negro as coach 11
- Durant donates $1 million to Oklahoma City tornado disaster relief efforts 10
- Odds for the NBA Draft Lottery (that teams don’t care if they win) 8
- Jim Boeheim says Knicks problem is not Carmelo, it’s everyone else 6
- Report: Tony Parker got death threat during Game 1 9
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (121)
- Knicks predictably drop Game 4 to Pacers, fall behind 3-1 (93)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (87)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (75)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Durant pledges $1 million for tornado victims
- Golden Super Bowl to Bay Area; LI to Houston
- PBT: Grizzlies aim to stem Spurs' momentum
- HBT: Yankees buying share of expansion MLS team
- PHT: Kings searching for killer instinct in Game 4
- PFT: Romo out of OTAs after back surgery
- PFT: NFL want to make Pro Bowl like game show
- Play Video: Phil Jackson compares MJ and Kobe
- Play Video: Grizzlies ready for 'running' Spurs
- Play Video: Durant won't 'compromise himself' like other stars
- Play Video: Knicks avoid elimination
- Play Video: Heat finish off Bulls, James 'has no energy left'
- Play Video: Health woes make Heat vulnerable