Apr 12, 2011, 10:27 PM EDT
Well, didn’t see this coming.
Why? Well they will say its to rest guys but if you like conspiracies you might say they are aiming — you could say tanking — for the eighth seed and a first-round date with San Antonio rather than risk getting the seven seed and the Lakers.
Follow the logic here. If Portland beats Memphis (much more likely with Randolph and Allen playing) then the Blazers are locked in to the six seed in the West. Memphis would fall into a tie with New Orleans with the Hornets having the tiebreaker — so Memphis is the seven seed, the Grizzlies the eight seed.
New Orleans faces Dallas on Wednesday, and following the above scenario if the Hornets won they would be the seven seed. If the Hornets were to lose to the Mavericks Wednesday, well, Memphis is playing the late game in Los Angeles against the Clippers and would learn the results of that game at halftime. So who knows who would play for Memphis in the second half against the Clippers.
If Memphis beat Portland but lost to a pretty good and hungry Clippers team, they would be the seventh seed. Meaning likely the Lakers.
Of course, that means all the actors have to play their parts (like the Lakers winning out to get the two seed). But Memphis seems to be going after a first round matchup with the Spurs.
- Derrick Rose after first back-to-back in years: “I’m feeling good right now” 1
- Report: Rajon Rondo wants to start season with Celtics, see how things unfold 11
- Rajon Rondo’s agent denies they asked Celtics for a trade 14
- Team USA trails at the half, then pulls away for 98-77 win over Turkey at FIBA World Cup 19
- Report: Nike nearing deal to keep Kevin Durant for next 10 years 21
- Report: Rajon Rondo has told Celtics ‘he wants out’ 68
- World Cup Day 1 roundup: Brazil with big win, Andray Blatche puts on a show 5
- USA cruises past Finland in World Cup opener, 114-55 18