Apr 12, 2011, 10:27 PM EDT
Well, didn’t see this coming.
Why? Well they will say its to rest guys but if you like conspiracies you might say they are aiming — you could say tanking — for the eighth seed and a first-round date with San Antonio rather than risk getting the seven seed and the Lakers.
Follow the logic here. If Portland beats Memphis (much more likely with Randolph and Allen playing) then the Blazers are locked in to the six seed in the West. Memphis would fall into a tie with New Orleans with the Hornets having the tiebreaker — so Memphis is the seven seed, the Grizzlies the eight seed.
New Orleans faces Dallas on Wednesday, and following the above scenario if the Hornets won they would be the seven seed. If the Hornets were to lose to the Mavericks Wednesday, well, Memphis is playing the late game in Los Angeles against the Clippers and would learn the results of that game at halftime. So who knows who would play for Memphis in the second half against the Clippers.
If Memphis beat Portland but lost to a pretty good and hungry Clippers team, they would be the seventh seed. Meaning likely the Lakers.
Of course, that means all the actors have to play their parts (like the Lakers winning out to get the two seed). But Memphis seems to be going after a first round matchup with the Spurs.
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 8
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 3
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 17
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 48
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10