Apr 12, 2011, 2:33 PM EST
The atmosphere for the Kings loss to the Thunder Monday night was a throwback.
Like about 10 years, when the Kings were contenders and then ARCO Arena was as great a home court advantage as the league had. Complete with cowbells.
“When you compare, it was very similar,” said Durant of the atmosphere in Seattle’s final days as an NBA city in contrast to what he saw Monday night in Sacramento. “They mirror each other. The last few games (in Seattle) – they were loud.”
Wednesday night, in what likely will be the final game against the hated Lakers, loud may not describe the level of noise.
The Maloof brothers, who own the Kings, have turned a deaf ear. They will be in New York at the end of this week to make their pitch to the NBA Board of Governors (the other owners) on why they should be allowed to move. Lakers owner Jerry Buss has tried to marshal forces to block another team coming into his and the Clippers region (the Honda is 30 miles away from Staples Center) but with limited success.
PBT spoke with someone with knowledge of the Anaheim deal who said it was basically done and just awaiting signatures as far as the Anaheim end is concerned. Which we already knew. Just the final rubber stamp approvals need to be put in place. In theory Buss and the other owners could put such a steep relocation fee on the Kings move as to make it not worth it. But don’t bet on it. Owners are not likely to get in the way of other owners making more money.
The Thunder’s Nick Collison — who made the move from Seattle to Oklahoma City as well — said there are a number of parallels, including that the team Sacramento will be missing could be very good in a few years.
“They have a nice group of young players,” Collison said of the Kings, who possess Tyreke Evans, the NBA’s reigning Rookie of the Year and DeMarcus Cousins, one of the League’s most skilled young bigs. “I think they’re in a good cap situation so they’ve got a bright future. It is kind of similar to what we had.”
- Lakers’ Steve Blake out at least six weeks with elbow injury 5
- Report: Knicks, Raptors talking Kyle Lowry trade 16
- Tom Thibodeau to the Knicks? Well… 4
- Deserving or not Kobe Bryant, Dwyane Wade among All-Star starters in early voting returns 32
- The Extra Pass: Bucks are bad, and that’s good; plus Wednesday’s recaps 8
- Why question “When did basketball get so bad?” misses mark (62)
- Pacers win first Conference Finals rematch vs. Heat (50)
- Raptors trade Rudy Gay to Sacramento for multiple players (47)
- NFL legend Jim Brown takes shot at Kobe Bryant, Kobe fires back (43)
- Adam Silver: NBA to consider doing away with divisions (39)