Apr 11, 2011, 10:40 PM EDT
What to do with Keith Smart?
Warriors owner Joe Lacob indicated during a brief conversation on Monday that an announcement on Smart won’t be coming immediately following the season, and that it might be a couple of weeks or more before any decision is made on the coach’s future.
Smart signed a one-year deal with only a partial grunted for next season. Which in coach speak means he was in serious trouble from the start. That said Warriors got better this season — a double digit win improvement from last year, their style slowed to a sane pace, the offense was just as efficient as last season and the defense got better. This was a team with mid-30s win talent (PBT’s preseason prediction was 33), they have 35 wins.
If ownership is coming up with a blueprint and direction for this franchise — something it lacked under the Cohen ownership — then it’s fair to ask if Smart is the guy who can coach the style they are looking for. It’s fair to ask about his use and relationships with players after a year on the job.
Just don’t can the guy and say he didn’t get enough out of what was given him. You can’t make gourmet food with the ingredients from a Circle K.
- If traded before World Cup starts could Kevin Love still play for USA? Colangelo said it’s possible. 1
- Anthony Davis steps into spotlight, is Team USA’s lynchpin 16
- Referee Violet Palmer comes out publicly as gay 41
- Report: Cavaliers last team standing in Kevin Love trade talks 85
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 56
- Coach K on Rose: “Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back” 30
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 43
- Report: Sixers fighting against immediate changes to NBA Draft Lottery system 59