Apr 11, 2011, 10:40 PM EDT
What to do with Keith Smart?
Warriors owner Joe Lacob indicated during a brief conversation on Monday that an announcement on Smart won’t be coming immediately following the season, and that it might be a couple of weeks or more before any decision is made on the coach’s future.
Smart signed a one-year deal with only a partial grunted for next season. Which in coach speak means he was in serious trouble from the start. That said Warriors got better this season — a double digit win improvement from last year, their style slowed to a sane pace, the offense was just as efficient as last season and the defense got better. This was a team with mid-30s win talent (PBT’s preseason prediction was 33), they have 35 wins.
If ownership is coming up with a blueprint and direction for this franchise — something it lacked under the Cohen ownership — then it’s fair to ask if Smart is the guy who can coach the style they are looking for. It’s fair to ask about his use and relationships with players after a year on the job.
Just don’t can the guy and say he didn’t get enough out of what was given him. You can’t make gourmet food with the ingredients from a Circle K.
- Report: Mo Williams signing with Cavaliers for most of their MLE 9
- Report: Cavaliers, Clippers discussing Jamal Crawford for Brendan Haywood trade 25
- Reports: David West agrees to veteran minimum deal to play for Spurs 68
- Report: Marc Gasol, Grizzlies reach deal on five-year, $110 million contract 8
- Manu Ginobili tweets he’ll play next season 5
- Who is left: 15 best free agents still on the board 14
- Report: Detroit Pistons sign restricted free agent Reggie Jackson for five-years, $80 million 38
- Report: Lakers near deal to sign Brandon Bass, may trade Nick Young 36