Apr 11, 2011, 10:40 PM EDT
What to do with Keith Smart?
Warriors owner Joe Lacob indicated during a brief conversation on Monday that an announcement on Smart won’t be coming immediately following the season, and that it might be a couple of weeks or more before any decision is made on the coach’s future.
Smart signed a one-year deal with only a partial grunted for next season. Which in coach speak means he was in serious trouble from the start. That said Warriors got better this season — a double digit win improvement from last year, their style slowed to a sane pace, the offense was just as efficient as last season and the defense got better. This was a team with mid-30s win talent (PBT’s preseason prediction was 33), they have 35 wins.
If ownership is coming up with a blueprint and direction for this franchise — something it lacked under the Cohen ownership — then it’s fair to ask if Smart is the guy who can coach the style they are looking for. It’s fair to ask about his use and relationships with players after a year on the job.
Just don’t can the guy and say he didn’t get enough out of what was given him. You can’t make gourmet food with the ingredients from a Circle K.
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks 1
- Roy Hibbert with the monster block on a dunk attempt from Carmelo Anthony in Game 6 (VIDEO) 10
- Nate Robinson unlikely to return to Bulls next season 11
- Preview: Knicks try to continue longshot comeback in Indiana 7
- George Hill cleared to play for Pacers in Game 6 vs. Knicks 10
- Knicks predictably drop Game 4 to Pacers, fall behind 3-1 (93)
- LeBron James shrugs off claims he’s a flopper (64)
- Seattle group releases statement; forced to wait, hope for expansion (63)
- Bad shooting night for Bulls dooms them in game Game 4. And series. (62)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (62)
- Oxbow upsets Orb in Preakness
- Live Extra: Sharks beat Kings, trim LA's series lead
- PBT Pacers top Knicks, punch ticket to conf. finals
- MST: Carpenter wins pole for 97th Indianapolis 500
- PHT: Red Wings even up series with Blackhawks
- PBT: Pacers may not have Hill for Game 6
- PHT: No surgery needed for Staal after brutal hit
- Play Video: Grizzlies ready for 'running' Spurs
- Play Video: Durant won't 'compromise himself' like other stars
- Play Video: Knicks avoid elimination
- Play Video: Heat finish off Bulls, James 'has no energy left'
- Play Video: Health woes make Heat vulnerable
- Play Video: Good news for Sacramento, Kings stay