Apr 11, 2011, 10:40 PM EST
What to do with Keith Smart?
Warriors owner Joe Lacob indicated during a brief conversation on Monday that an announcement on Smart won’t be coming immediately following the season, and that it might be a couple of weeks or more before any decision is made on the coach’s future.
Smart signed a one-year deal with only a partial grunted for next season. Which in coach speak means he was in serious trouble from the start. That said Warriors got better this season — a double digit win improvement from last year, their style slowed to a sane pace, the offense was just as efficient as last season and the defense got better. This was a team with mid-30s win talent (PBT’s preseason prediction was 33), they have 35 wins.
If ownership is coming up with a blueprint and direction for this franchise — something it lacked under the Cohen ownership — then it’s fair to ask if Smart is the guy who can coach the style they are looking for. It’s fair to ask about his use and relationships with players after a year on the job.
Just don’t can the guy and say he didn’t get enough out of what was given him. You can’t make gourmet food with the ingredients from a Circle K.
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Thursday: The Cavaliers we expected have arrived 5
- Report: George Karl controls Kings’ personnel, wants Ty Lawson, willing to move DeMarcus Cousins 28
- Paul George returns to practice with Pacers, could play in couple weeks 8
- Report: LeBron James wonders why he doesn’t get more MVP consideration 41
- Would Rajon Rondo leave the Mavericks for the Lakers? 58
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: The Spurs losing rodeo road trip a bad sign 14
- PBT Extra: What is future for Derrick Rose? Bulls? 13
- Mavericks suspend Rajon Rondo one game after argument with coach Rick Carlisle 44