Reality: Lamar Odom admits father was heroin addict

Apr 11, 2011, 12:49 PM EST

Portland Trail Blazers v Los Angeles Lakers Getty Images

If anyone asks, you’re saying didn’t watch Khloe & Lamar Sunday. There was Boston and Miami in the NBA and the Masters and you don’t watch that crap anyway.

If you secretly watched it, we won’t tell anyone. We won’t tell anyone you ate chocolate covered strawberries while you watched it, either.

But in case you did miss it, there was some serious stuff amongst the fluff. The Sporting News explains.

Lakers forward Lamar Odom, during the debut episode of his new reality show, ‘Khloe and Lamar’, reveals that his estranged father, Joe, is a heroin addict.

“I’m not asking him to be a father,” Odom says on the show. “I’m asking him to act like you are my father.”

In the episode, Joe surprises Khloe Kardashian, Lamar’s wife, at a book signing. Khloe encourages her husband and his father for form a closer relationship, but Joe later asks his son for money.

“Give me a couple dollars, man, I’m wiped out,” Joe asks of Lamar over the phone, per USA Today. He also asks for groceries, tickets and shoes. After that, Khloe backs off her suggestion that Lamar and Joe reconcile.

Odom is a fascinating person. He has story of family members that worked at Rikers Island when he was a kid, there is his maturation as a person through his NBA career, and having to deal with the death of close family and a child. His father the addict is just another part of that.

Through it all, Odom may be one of the most positive people you’ll ever meet. Which speaks to his nature — and how the world would be a better place if more of us could be like Odom in outlook.

1. chargerdillon - Apr 11, 2011 at 1:29 PM

Hello my name is Lamar Odom and i’m addicted to Skittles and GummiWorms.

2. mytthor - Apr 11, 2011 at 1:33 PM

Chocolate covered strawberries are delicious, f*** what people think.

3. loungefly74 - Apr 11, 2011 at 1:56 PM

because of Lamar, my girlfriend “tolerated” and watched the NBA Finals with me because “Mr. Kardashian” was playing. It was one of the few sporting events she watched all year. Thank you Lamar. I mean it, thanks.

4. zackd2 - Apr 11, 2011 at 7:57 PM

What a staged event.

5. greencleanofavalon - Jul 19, 2011 at 3:54 PM

I fall more in love with that man every new thing I hear. It is amazing he is such a great guy. Having trouble myself w/that stuff and being an middle class white girl, I saw what it did to my family. It was horendous and the fact that he keeps trying w/that man is amazing. He is an angel!

Can red hot Warriors sustain success?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches