Apr 11, 2011, 5:47 PM EDT
According to Sports Illustrated’s Sam Amick, sources close to Perry Jones are saying that the Baylor freshman will return to school next season instead of declaring for the 2011 NBA Draft.
Jones’ averages of 13.9 points and 7.2 rebounds per game were relatively modest, but he was projected to be a top-five pick in next year’s notoriously weak draft due to his combination of size, length, athleticism, and skill. Jones was suspended from last year’s Big 12 Tournament thanks to some illegal benefits, and will have to sit out the first five games of next season before he will be eligible for reinstatement by the NBA.
This is an extremely risky move for Jones. NBA teams have a lot of faith in their ability to develop raw talents like Jones on their own; any team that drafted him would have been expecting him to make serious leaps during his rookie season. If he doesn’t make those leaps with Baylor next season, his stock will free-fall, especially since the 2012 draft is expected to be much stronger than the 2011 one. If Jones does develop into the kind of player his talents suggest he could become next year, he could very well be a top-3 pick. If he doesn’t, Jones may have just cost himself a lot of money.
- A ‘devastated’ Manu Ginobili says he has no clue how Spurs will re-energize in time for Game 7 4
- Spurs execution fails them when it matters most. Can they get it back for Game 7? 5
- Heat force a Finals Game 7 with thrilling overtime win over Spurs 7
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 96
- PBT Extra: Talking Duncan, LeBron legacies; plus Game 6 12
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 (98)
- If Spurs win, it is LeBron’s legacy that will take biggest hit (83)
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- LeBron James: “I just have to play better” (78)
- Heat’s Big Three dominate Game 4 to even the Finals at two games apiece (74)
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Patriots' Hernandez questioned in murder investigation
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- HBT: Mets' Wheeler goes six scoreless in MLB debut
- Lolo Jones' attempt at humor backfires
- Play Video: Bosh: 'We'll see who hits first'
- Play Video: PBT Extra: LeBron's legacy at stake, Duncan's safe
- Play Video: Clippers, Celtics discussions 'can't be wrong'
- Play Video: Elliot looks ahead to Game 6
- Play Video: The Hype: How much would you pay to punch someone?
- Play Video: If Heat lose, 'all hell will break loose'