Apr 11, 2011, 6:30 PM EDT
Bad news for Blazer fans, courtesy of CBSSports.com’s Ben Golliver:
During Friday night’s game between the Portland Trail Blazers and Los Angeles Lakers in Portland, Oden joined the Blazers Broadcasting telecast to provide an update on his rehabilitation from microfracture surgery on his left knee that he underwent in November.
Oden said that, as of now, he’s “still doing two-leg strength, body weight stuff” and that any type of on-court basketball activitiies are “very far down the road.”
Asked specifically when he might make a return to the court, Oden said, “I can say, over five months away. I won’t start running until then.”
It’s fairly common knowledge that nobody comes all the way back from microfracture surgery the season after the procedure, but this is still tough to year. Oden is one of the most physically gifted 7-footers we’ve seen in years, and his body has completely betrayed him.
He hasn’t been a failure because of poor attitude, poor work ethic, poor basketball IQ, or anything else that he could presumably have some control over — when he’s been on the court, he’s been very productive, if a bit foul-prone. But for some reason, his knees have required three major surgeries in four seasons, and he may never live up to the promise he showed as an uber-prospect.
I don’t know if Greg Oden will ever come back — there’s a chance this major surgery could be his last one, and he’ll come back the way Blake Griffin did, and there’s the chance that he’ll never be healthy enough to play for a full season. What I don’t understand is why anyone would derive any pleasure from the latter scenario.
- Trey Burke, in wake of nude-photo scandal: ‘My judgments will be much better’ 11
- Report: Kevin Durant says he wants to play in 2016 Olympics (his free agent summer) 5
- Morris twins sign four-year extensions with Suns 11
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Washington Wizards 3
- Rockets’ Daryl Morey fires back at Mark Cuban: If you care about chemistry, why break up a title team? 35
- Deron Williams fires back at Kobe: “If I’m 0-for-f******-9, I’m not shooting 20 more shots” 43
- LeBron James on running the Cavaliers offense: ‘This is Kyrie’s show’ 28
- Tim Duncan on decision to opt in for final year of his contract: ‘There was some hesitation there’ 20