Apr 11, 2011, 3:15 PM EDT
Eddy Curry — bought out by the Knick and having been working out in Chicago to get in NBA shape — got his chance.
The Miami Heat brought him in for a series of workouts. The Heat need a viable big man, Eddy Curry once was a viable big man. (Don’t laugh, the Heat and a lot of teams would sacrifice a couple of interns on a makeshift alter if they could get the 2002-03 version of Curry.)
But the Heat passed, reports Adrian Wojnarowski at Yahoo.
Heat president Pat Riley and coach Erik Spoelstra weren’t sold that Curry, who hasn’t played an NBA game this season, could make enough of a difference to justify cutting a young player off its roster, sources said.
Curry’s poor conditioning and more than 350 pounds of weight ultimately doomed his bid to join the Heat. After going to Chicago to work out Curry, who turned 28 two weeks ago, Riley was intrigued enough to bring him down to Miami for further evaluation and a medical physical. After working out a few days in the middle of last week, Curry eventually returned to his hometown of Chicago without an offer.
Curry is only 28. If he does get in shape, he could get a camp invite post lockout.
- Game 6 was not Gregg Popovich’s best night 27
- LeBron James gets another triple-double, now favorite for Finals MVP 14
- ‘Devastated’ Manu Ginobili says he has no clue how Spurs will re-energize for Game 7 35
- Spurs execution fails them when it matters most. Can they get it back for Game 7? 13
- Heat force a Finals Game 7 with thrilling overtime win over Spurs 22
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 (107)
- If Spurs win, it is LeBron’s legacy that will take biggest hit (83)
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- LeBron James: “I just have to play better” (78)
- Heat’s Big Three dominate Game 4 to even the Finals at two games apiece (74)
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- Underseeded? Nadal draws No. 5 at Wimbledon
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead