Apr 11, 2011, 5:43 PM EDT
There is little hope for Indiana in it’s first round, one-versus-eight matchup against Chicago. The debate is really can they win one game or not.
But Pacers star Danny Granger was honest with the Indianapolis Star and in doing so made sure Bulls coach Tom Thibodeau had some bulletin board material to work with.
“Boston’s a different monster,” Granger told the Indianapolis Star. “They don’t have the best record in the East, but they won championships. They know how to do it. They have four, five guys you have to worry about, from (Paul) Pierce, (Rajon) Rondo, (Kevin) Garnett and (Ray) Allen.
“Chicago, they go as Derrick Rose goes. If you make a concerted effort to stop Derrick Rose, you have a better chance to beat them.”
Chuckle at that if you want — nobody really has stopped Derrick Rose consistently — but there’s a lot of people around the league that think that way. That this team defends like the 2008 Celtics but is more the offense of the 2001 76ers (the Allen Iverson show). That’s not our argument, by the way — the Bulls have Carlos Boozer, more consistent contributions from Luol Deng and Derrick Rose has shown an ability to mature his game that Iverson never mastered. But know that attitude is out there.
The only way the Bulls are going to prove that is to beat the Heat and/or Celtics in the Eastern Conference finals. Well, they have to get to those finals first, but I have the feeling the first round will not be much of a problem.
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 0
- Kevin Durant reiterates that rest was his reason for withdrawing from Team USA 6
- Kobe Bryant says he will not be same player as before, says he’s evolved into something equally good 14
- Report: Agent for Greg Monroe pursued sign-and-trade deals with five teams, including Thunder and Blazers 23
- Derrick Rose sits out another Team USA practice, not likely to start Wednesday 20
- DeMarcus Cousins practices with team USA Tuesday, says he’s 50-50 for Wednesday game 2
- Jim Boeheim says of Carmelo Anthony, “it would have been better to go to Chicago” 31
- Steve Ballmer screams like a maniac at Clippers rally 26