Apr 11, 2011, 11:53 PM EDT
Soon to be new Pistons owner Tom Gores was in the building. Charlie Villanueva has an interesting way of impressing him.
What ended as one of the craziest moments of the year — with police trying to stop a locker room fight — started on the court with 5:45 left in the fourth quarter. The Pistons had the ball as part of their play Villanueva tried to set a pick on the Cavaliers center Ryan Hollins, and Hollins puts a little shoulder into Charlie V. So far it’s like a play that happens a dozen times a game at least.
But Villanueva and Hollins get tangled up and Villanueva’s hands come up to Hollins face. Pretty quickly Hollins follows suit and the two are pushing each other and being separated.
The refs come in and both men get a technical and are ejected.
Then Villanueva snaps — he runs toward the Cavaliers bench with Pistons security trying to hold him back and get him to the locker room. Villanueva essentially challenges Hollins to continue this out in the hallway by the locker rooms and Villanueva went over by the Cavs locker room.
Security kept Hollins on the bench until Charlie V. was in the Pistons locker room, then he was escorted to the visitors locker room. Through it all the Pistons PA announcer is reminding fans not to throw anything or charge the court.
Watch the video. C.R.A.Z.Y.
But it doesn’t end there.
About 10 minutes after this police standing on a loading dock between the two locker rooms had to stop Villanueva from charging into the Cavaliers locker room, according to multiple reports
After the game, Villanueva was asked why he nuts, and he told Dave Hogg (of the AP among others):
“You’ve got to be careful with the quiet ones, right?”
Suddenly, Kevin Garnett seems a little more sane.
- Report: Scott Skiles in lead to become next Orlando coach 0
- Report: Jeff Van Gundy candidate for Pelicans’ coaching job 7
- Cavs’ improved defense deserves credit for commanding 2-0 Eastern Conference Finals lead 22
- No Kyrie Irving, no problem: Cavaliers cruise to blowout Game 2 win over Hawks 23
- Kyrie Irving out for Game 2 vs. Hawks 7
- PBT Extra: Klay Thompson’s done well, but Warriors should throw other defenders at James Harden, too 5
- PBT Extra: Give Warriors defense some credit for stop of Harden on last play 0
- Lakers general manager says Kobe Bryant told him next season will be Kobe’s last with Lakers 20