Apr 11, 2011, 10:40 AM EDT
Be very, very careful reading much into the end of the regular season when trying to predict the playoffs. The Lakers stumbled the final games of the regular season, Boston took the final few weeks off and was 11-11 right before the playoffs. They were the teams in Game 7 of the finals.
But one thing seems to be different in the East — Boston has lost some of its intimidation factor.
They have replaced Kendrick Perkins‘ scowl with nothing right now — Jermaine O’Neal doesn’t count and Shaquille is still out — and the result is teams are not afraid of ventures into the paint.
Speaking of the difference in the Celts since their big trade, Chris Bosh said things were essentially the same in what they try to do. Then he added, “It’s just a difference in players. Kendrick (Perkins) brought a certain element to that team, and it’s not there anymore.”
Look, getting Shaq back matters, no doubt. But the attitude of other teams tells of a perception shift — Shaq does not intimidate. Not anymore, anyway. How much that perception really matters in the playoffs — when the Celtics veterans have rested legs and bring another level of energy — remains to be seen.
Perkins himself Sunday said he is not buying any of it.
“This is nothing for them, they’ll pick it up in the playoffs, believe me,” Perkins said in the Thunder locker room after his new team beat the Lakers. “They’ll be a different team in the playoffs.”
- Tony Parker hits a back over-the-head halfcourt shot (VIDEO) 8
- Timberwolves ‘not necessarily in a rush’ to agree to contract extension with Ricky Rubio 15
- Andray Blatche signs deal to play in China next season 11
- Is Klay Thompson the best two-way shooting guard? Stephen Curry would ‘put him up against anybody.’ 18
- UPDATED Report: Timberwolves make push for Eric Bledsoe, Suns not interested in sign-and-trade talks 39
- LeBron James unveils latest signature shoe from Nike: The LEBRON 12 12
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Toronto Raptors 10
- Dwyane Wade credits David Stern’s dress code for improving his style 18