Apr 10, 2011, 11:30 AM EDT
Jason Terry became so upset at a miscommunication on Friday night with J.J. Barea that he had a verbal confrontation with Barea and his coach during a timeout. The result was Rick Carlisle sending Terry to the end of the bench and keeping him there while the Mavericks made a comeback. On Saturday, they addressed the situation.
“I don’t think it became public at all,” Terry said. “Again, Coach made a decision, we all rolled with it, you seen me on the bench, I’m cheering on my guys to win the game whatever happens. I don’t think it was public at all. … Again, it happened, it’s over with and we’re moving forward.”
It’s playoff time. Emotions are going to be high at this time of the season,” Terry said. “The last couple of years we’ve kind of been real lax and kind of went through the emotions. But this year is totally different. As you can see these games are intense. Positively or negatively, something’s going to spark off and happen. And last night I let it become negative and so going forward it’s just not going to be that. It’s going to be all positive, but we’re going to channel our energies in the right direction. But as you know, again, these times now are very intense and it’s going to be like that for the next two or three months.”
Terry’s idea isn’t a bad one, as the Mavericks could us some element of toughness to them, a spark to get them out of the funk they’ve been in. But getting into shouting matches and causing disruptions in harmony doesn’t seem like the way to do it, nor does shoving bench players.
At the same time, Terry’s been up and down, dealing with a changing role in the offense as he gets older and Rodrigue Beaubois becomes more a part of the team’s plans for the future. Carlisle didn’t punish Terry for the incident, but if anything further happens, he had better have his eye out. There’s a fine line between letting players’ emotions spark them and getting run over by them.
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 20
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 8
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 12
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 47
- Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick 31
- Wisconsin State Assembly passes Bucks arena deal, clearing the way for Gov. Walker to sign 40
- Phil Jackson says Knicks wanted Goran Dragic at trade deadline. Because he’s such a triangle fit? 16
- Report: Cavaliers sign Matthew Dellavedova 10