Apr 9, 2011, 1:00 PM EDT
The Lakers lost their fourth game in a row Friday night to a 93-86 decision against the Blazers. It wound up with a decent point differential but the truth is the game was much more of a blowout. A late Lakers run with bench players made it seem easier, but in reality, the Lakers gave a horrible effort. That’s not exaggeration. They simply could not be bothered to try. And Phil Jackson was pretty honest about it post-game.
Phil Jackson’s unhappy: “These guys just don’t want to play hard right now.” No argument here.
The Lakers laughed off their third loss in a row. They’ll likely laugh off this one as well. Kobe Bryant for one vowed that the loss would not stand as acceptable, though he wasn’t in any way off the charts angry.
“We’ll have a good conversation,” Bryant said. “It’s always a surprise to get beat like that.”
This is nothing new for the Lakers. They tore off a huge win-streak after the All-Star break, proved they were the team everyone thought they were. Then they stopped trying. They’re coasting. And they’ll turn it on in the playoffs like they always do. The only people they’re hurting are the Lakers fans living in Portland who attended the game. There’s no threat to their playoff hopes, no damper on their planning for another championship parade. This is just the result of a long regular season for a team looking to three-peat. How could a loss like this possibly matter to them?
In unrelated news, the Mavericks are now a single game back of the Lakers for the 2nd seed in the West. The Heat and Celtics are now tied were they to meet in the Finals, and were the Lakers to face the top-seeded Bulls in the Finals, Game 1 would be in United Center. You know. Unrelated.
- Preview: Pacers must take back paint to even series with Heat 1
- Celtics deny Nets permission to speak with head coach Doc Rivers 5
- PBT Extra: Talking Heat/Pacers, and why Indy might be optimistic 11
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell 48
- LeBron, Durant, Kobe headline All NBA First Team 25
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (91)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (77)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (70)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- Live Extra: Watch coverage of Carb Day at Indy
- PHT: Senators fight for playoff lives in Game 5
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PHT: Kings defend home ice, up 3-2 | Highlights