Apr 9, 2011, 1:00 PM EST
The Lakers lost their fourth game in a row Friday night to a 93-86 decision against the Blazers. It wound up with a decent point differential but the truth is the game was much more of a blowout. A late Lakers run with bench players made it seem easier, but in reality, the Lakers gave a horrible effort. That’s not exaggeration. They simply could not be bothered to try. And Phil Jackson was pretty honest about it post-game.
Phil Jackson’s unhappy: “These guys just don’t want to play hard right now.” No argument here.
The Lakers laughed off their third loss in a row. They’ll likely laugh off this one as well. Kobe Bryant for one vowed that the loss would not stand as acceptable, though he wasn’t in any way off the charts angry.
“We’ll have a good conversation,” Bryant said. “It’s always a surprise to get beat like that.”
This is nothing new for the Lakers. They tore off a huge win-streak after the All-Star break, proved they were the team everyone thought they were. Then they stopped trying. They’re coasting. And they’ll turn it on in the playoffs like they always do. The only people they’re hurting are the Lakers fans living in Portland who attended the game. There’s no threat to their playoff hopes, no damper on their planning for another championship parade. This is just the result of a long regular season for a team looking to three-peat. How could a loss like this possibly matter to them?
In unrelated news, the Mavericks are now a single game back of the Lakers for the 2nd seed in the West. The Heat and Celtics are now tied were they to meet in the Finals, and were the Lakers to face the top-seeded Bulls in the Finals, Game 1 would be in United Center. You know. Unrelated.
- The Extra Pass: Raptors’ salary dump trade could mean a few more wins, too; plus Sunday recaps 0
- Kobe is back but loss to Raptors shows Lakers still have a lot of work to do 5
- Sunday night NBA Grades: Rudy Gay traded to Kings, Kobe returns for Lakers 2
- Expect to see facilitator Kobe in his return to Lakers 7
- Raptors trade Rudy Gay to Sacramento for multiple players 26
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (65)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (52)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (47)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (44)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (43)