Apr 9, 2011, 1:00 PM EDT
The Lakers lost their fourth game in a row Friday night to a 93-86 decision against the Blazers. It wound up with a decent point differential but the truth is the game was much more of a blowout. A late Lakers run with bench players made it seem easier, but in reality, the Lakers gave a horrible effort. That’s not exaggeration. They simply could not be bothered to try. And Phil Jackson was pretty honest about it post-game.
Phil Jackson’s unhappy: “These guys just don’t want to play hard right now.” No argument here.
The Lakers laughed off their third loss in a row. They’ll likely laugh off this one as well. Kobe Bryant for one vowed that the loss would not stand as acceptable, though he wasn’t in any way off the charts angry.
“We’ll have a good conversation,” Bryant said. “It’s always a surprise to get beat like that.”
This is nothing new for the Lakers. They tore off a huge win-streak after the All-Star break, proved they were the team everyone thought they were. Then they stopped trying. They’re coasting. And they’ll turn it on in the playoffs like they always do. The only people they’re hurting are the Lakers fans living in Portland who attended the game. There’s no threat to their playoff hopes, no damper on their planning for another championship parade. This is just the result of a long regular season for a team looking to three-peat. How could a loss like this possibly matter to them?
In unrelated news, the Mavericks are now a single game back of the Lakers for the 2nd seed in the West. The Heat and Celtics are now tied were they to meet in the Finals, and were the Lakers to face the top-seeded Bulls in the Finals, Game 1 would be in United Center. You know. Unrelated.
- Derrick Rose sits out another Team USA practice, not likely to start Wednesday 18
- DeMarcus Cousins practices with team USA Tuesday, says he’s 50-50 for Wednesday game 2
- Jim Boeheim says of Carmelo Anthony, “it would have been better to go to Chicago” 30
- Steve Ballmer screams like a maniac at Clippers rally 26
- Thibodeau calls Team USA “perfect setting” for Derrick Rose to make return 6
- What four players left likely to get cut from Team USA roster? Things don’t look good for Andre Drummond. 19
- John Calipari says he was not close to going to Cleveland. LeBron or not. 12
- Report: Shawn Marion commits to play with Cavaliers, LeBron James 47