Apr 9, 2011, 11:30 AM EDT
The 2011 draft class doesn’t bowl you over with names. It’s considered one of the weakest in years. But all that does is make Kyrie Irving look like more of a sure thing. The Duke freshman is widely considered the top overall player in the draft and has been seen as such since he dazzled scouts last summer. But there’s always that chance that things could change and his combine numbers or some other element could push him down. Team needs is the easiest. Say the Warriors, Bucks, and Timberwolves land 1-2-3, all with point guards in place, or on their way, in the case of the Wolves with Ricky Rubio, according to the Wolves at least. Irving would probably fall in that situation, right?
Not so much.
CBSSports.com reports that Irving won’t fall past the Wolves. Rubio is reportedly leaning towards coming to America like Eddie Murphy lockout or no lockout, but Irving presents such a talent base that David Kahn would take him regardless, meaning a trade either for Irving or Rubio. Either way, it would present a huge opportunity for the Wolves. Trading Rubio on the open market would bring in more assets which is what they need despite Kahn’s insistence that rebuilding is over for Minnesota. Trading Irving would fetch an even higher price.
Then again, there’s always the chance that the Wolves roll the dice with both Irving and Rubio, causing more tension between the two and further frustrating a fanbase. But maybe it could work. Weirder things have happened. Odds are this is moot. No, literally, the odds are this is moot and a team with a point guard need like Cleveland or Sacramento snatches him up in the top 3.
- Adam Silver: NBA stars playing in international competition face ‘a big risk’ 10
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 9
- Report: Don’t be so sure on Anthony Bennett to Philadelphia rumors 39
- Report: Nike gets chance to match 10-year, $265 million offer to Kevin Durant from Under Armour 17
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 18
- Report: Suns discussing trade possibilities for Eric Bledsoe 33
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 32
- Kevin Durant reiterates that rest was his reason for withdrawing from Team USA 10