Apr 9, 2011, 11:30 AM EST
The 2011 draft class doesn’t bowl you over with names. It’s considered one of the weakest in years. But all that does is make Kyrie Irving look like more of a sure thing. The Duke freshman is widely considered the top overall player in the draft and has been seen as such since he dazzled scouts last summer. But there’s always that chance that things could change and his combine numbers or some other element could push him down. Team needs is the easiest. Say the Warriors, Bucks, and Timberwolves land 1-2-3, all with point guards in place, or on their way, in the case of the Wolves with Ricky Rubio, according to the Wolves at least. Irving would probably fall in that situation, right?
Not so much.
CBSSports.com reports that Irving won’t fall past the Wolves. Rubio is reportedly leaning towards coming to America like Eddie Murphy lockout or no lockout, but Irving presents such a talent base that David Kahn would take him regardless, meaning a trade either for Irving or Rubio. Either way, it would present a huge opportunity for the Wolves. Trading Rubio on the open market would bring in more assets which is what they need despite Kahn’s insistence that rebuilding is over for Minnesota. Trading Irving would fetch an even higher price.
Then again, there’s always the chance that the Wolves roll the dice with both Irving and Rubio, causing more tension between the two and further frustrating a fanbase. But maybe it could work. Weirder things have happened. Odds are this is moot. No, literally, the odds are this is moot and a team with a point guard need like Cleveland or Sacramento snatches him up in the top 3.
- Kobe Bryant returning Sunday against Raptors 16
- Report: Rockets stepping up efforts to move Omer Asik 10
- Rumor: Carmelo Anthony recruiting Rajon Rondo to come to New York in 2015 17
- Report: Heat shopping Joel Anthony, seeking depth behind Wade 21
- LeBron not wearing new LeBron 11s, Nike “redefining” shoe for him 15
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (43)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (40)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (38)