Apr 8, 2011, 1:51 PM EDT
Every time there is a high profile coaching opening in the NBA this summer, Kentucky coach John Calipari’s name will come up.
Usually from an anonymous source. A source that probably is one of Calipari’s people (or CAA). But know that Calipari’s name will attach itself to job openings like a fly to… well, you get the idea.
Up first: The New York Knicks.
It seems fitting that Peter Vecsey should start these rumors off in the New York Post.
According to a team executive, who knows a thing or two about a thing or two regarding goings-on behind the screens, Dolan may have eyes for John Calipari … to run the front office and coach….
Does it make sense? Yes, especially in view of Dolan’s disinclination to do right by Walsh.
We’re talking about a marquee college coach fresh from another Final Four, who owns pro experience (some of it good with the Nets), is an outstanding recruiter (though the NBA’s salary cap may limit that impact), and relates remarkably well with young black players.
Now, this is Vecsey in the Post, so you should swing by the Morton’s Salt Factory in Chicago and pick up a 50-pound bag to go with this.
But as we said the other day, there is a vacuum because Knicks owner James Dolan has not picked up team president Donnie Walsh’s extension for next season (he has until the end of the month). And Dolan doesn’t speak to the media. Frankly I’d rather predict what Congress is going to do with the budget than try to predict Dolan. And nobody likes Congress right now.
In a world with no real information and an unpredictable owner, you get crazy rumors. Like Calipari. Which in this reality is not out of the realm of possibility, I guess.
- Report: Don’t be so sure on Anthony Bennett to Philadelphia rumors 1
- Report: Nike gets chance to match 10-year, $265 million offer to Kevin Durant from Under Armour 5
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 18
- Report: Suns discussing trade possibilities for Eric Bledsoe 27
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 32
- Kevin Durant reiterates that rest was his reason for withdrawing from Team USA 9
- Kobe Bryant says he will not be same player as before, says he’s evolved into something equally good 25
- Report: Agent for Greg Monroe pursued sign-and-trade deals with five teams, including Thunder and Blazers 26