Apr 8, 2011, 1:51 PM EDT
Every time there is a high profile coaching opening in the NBA this summer, Kentucky coach John Calipari’s name will come up.
Usually from an anonymous source. A source that probably is one of Calipari’s people (or CAA). But know that Calipari’s name will attach itself to job openings like a fly to… well, you get the idea.
Up first: The New York Knicks.
It seems fitting that Peter Vecsey should start these rumors off in the New York Post.
According to a team executive, who knows a thing or two about a thing or two regarding goings-on behind the screens, Dolan may have eyes for John Calipari … to run the front office and coach….
Does it make sense? Yes, especially in view of Dolan’s disinclination to do right by Walsh.
We’re talking about a marquee college coach fresh from another Final Four, who owns pro experience (some of it good with the Nets), is an outstanding recruiter (though the NBA’s salary cap may limit that impact), and relates remarkably well with young black players.
Now, this is Vecsey in the Post, so you should swing by the Morton’s Salt Factory in Chicago and pick up a 50-pound bag to go with this.
But as we said the other day, there is a vacuum because Knicks owner James Dolan has not picked up team president Donnie Walsh’s extension for next season (he has until the end of the month). And Dolan doesn’t speak to the media. Frankly I’d rather predict what Congress is going to do with the budget than try to predict Dolan. And nobody likes Congress right now.
In a world with no real information and an unpredictable owner, you get crazy rumors. Like Calipari. Which in this reality is not out of the realm of possibility, I guess.
- Jahlil Okafor: “Rookie of the Year is one of the goals I set for myself” 13
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 8
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 3
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 17
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 50