Apr 8, 2011, 4:55 PM EDT
We told you before that the league was looking into the case of Nets minority owner (and music empire mogul) Jay-Z having contact with the Kentucky Wildcats after the team won to advance to the final four.
Team personnel cannot have contact with college players (that’s why Isiah Thomas can’t be an official Knicks consultant and coach Florida International).
But Jay-Z wasn’t in their recruiting players (something pretty much fruitless since there is that whole draft thing anyway) so the league just gave him and the Nets a $50,000 slap on the wrist, Marc Stein of ESPN reports.
This is not uncommon, remember Celtics GM Danny Ainge was fined $30,000 for talking to Kevin Durant’s mother.
Does Michael Jordan get an exception for visiting North Carolina practices because he is an alumni?
- PBT Extra: Expect a healthy Stephen Curry for Game 5… sorry Houston 0
- Cavaliers complete sweep of Hawks, advance to NBA Finals 58
- Kyrie Irving back in Cavaliers lineup for Game 4 vs. Hawks 5
- NBA: No Game 5 suspension for Dwight Howard, flagrant-1 for hit on Andrew Bogut stands as called 21
- Report: Kyle Korver to have surgery on his ankle 5
- PBT Podcast: We’re back (finally), talking Curry, Harden, and what should be a Flagrant Foul 0
- PBT Extra: Will Dwight Howard’s foul on Bogut be upgraded to a Flagrant 2? Should it? 13
- PBT Extra: Horford/Dellavedova incident ups tension in Hawks/Cavaliers Game 4 10