Apr 8, 2011, 4:55 PM EDT
We told you before that the league was looking into the case of Nets minority owner (and music empire mogul) Jay-Z having contact with the Kentucky Wildcats after the team won to advance to the final four.
Team personnel cannot have contact with college players (that’s why Isiah Thomas can’t be an official Knicks consultant and coach Florida International).
But Jay-Z wasn’t in their recruiting players (something pretty much fruitless since there is that whole draft thing anyway) so the league just gave him and the Nets a $50,000 slap on the wrist, Marc Stein of ESPN reports.
This is not uncommon, remember Celtics GM Danny Ainge was fined $30,000 for talking to Kevin Durant’s mother.
Does Michael Jordan get an exception for visiting North Carolina practices because he is an alumni?
- Report: Rajon Rondo wants to start season with Celtics, see how things unfold 8
- Rajon Rondo’s agent denies they asked Celtics for a trade 13
- Team USA trails at the half, then pulls away for 98-77 win over Turkey at FIBA World Cup 19
- Report: Nike nearing deal to keep Kevin Durant for next 10 years 20
- Report: Rajon Rondo has told Celtics ‘he wants out’ 68
- World Cup Day 1 roundup: Brazil with big win, Andray Blatche puts on a show 5
- USA cruises past Finland in World Cup opener, 114-55 18
- James Harden on Kobe Bryant return: “He’s 20-year-old Kobe” 34