Apr 8, 2011, 4:55 PM EDT
We told you before that the league was looking into the case of Nets minority owner (and music empire mogul) Jay-Z having contact with the Kentucky Wildcats after the team won to advance to the final four.
Team personnel cannot have contact with college players (that’s why Isiah Thomas can’t be an official Knicks consultant and coach Florida International).
But Jay-Z wasn’t in their recruiting players (something pretty much fruitless since there is that whole draft thing anyway) so the league just gave him and the Nets a $50,000 slap on the wrist, Marc Stein of ESPN reports.
This is not uncommon, remember Celtics GM Danny Ainge was fined $30,000 for talking to Kevin Durant’s mother.
Does Michael Jordan get an exception for visiting North Carolina practices because he is an alumni?
- Official ‘Clipper’s Number 1 Fan’ on herself and Donald Sterling: ‘I’ll always feel it’s our team’ 0
- Cavaliers GM admits concerns about rim protection on defense 11
- Coach K had DeMarcus Cousins as USA’s backup big long before final cuts 6
- World Cup preview: No Durant, no problem USA still one of two teams with legit shot to win gold 6
- Cavaliers sold Kyrie Irving on contract extension with LeBron James-Kevin Love plan 34
- Kevin Love says Timberwolves owner should focus on his own team following trade to Cavaliers 35
- Iman Shumpert excited to play in triangle offense because he won’t just have to stand in the corner 9
- Timberwolves owner: Kevin Love might regret trade because he’ll be third banana with Cavaliers 48