Apr 8, 2011, 4:55 PM EST
We told you before that the league was looking into the case of Nets minority owner (and music empire mogul) Jay-Z having contact with the Kentucky Wildcats after the team won to advance to the final four.
Team personnel cannot have contact with college players (that’s why Isiah Thomas can’t be an official Knicks consultant and coach Florida International).
But Jay-Z wasn’t in their recruiting players (something pretty much fruitless since there is that whole draft thing anyway) so the league just gave him and the Nets a $50,000 slap on the wrist, Marc Stein of ESPN reports.
This is not uncommon, remember Celtics GM Danny Ainge was fined $30,000 for talking to Kevin Durant’s mother.
Does Michael Jordan get an exception for visiting North Carolina practices because he is an alumni?
- Days before he faced LeBron, Paul George said Durant is NBA’s toughest cover 10
- A day later, Kobe didn’t think he played quite so bad 5
- Why question “When did basketball get so bad?” misses mark 25
- Adam Silver: NBA to consider doing away with divisions 15
- The Extra Pass: Five quick ways to improve the league; plus Monday’s Recaps 19
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (65)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (54)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (47)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (43)
- Durant tells “60 Minutes Sports” he’s still tired of being No. 2 (35)